4 Reasons to Do Yoga with Protect Our Breasts on Earth Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Protect Our Breasts was founded by a professor and her team of marketing and biology students from the University of Massachusetts Amherst in October 2011. Their purpose is to spread awareness about everyday toxins that we are exposed to that could cause breast cancer. They work together to research safer alternatives products without toxins to create a healthier lifestyle. Protect Our Breasts is hosting an Earth Day Yogathon on April 22nd all day (8am – 7pm) on the Fine Arts Center Terrace to educate everyone on these safer alternatives as well as gathering to appreciate our beautiful planet Earth. 

Cleaner Earth, Cleaner You

Earth Day was created by the hippie flower children of the 70’s to appreciate the beautiful planet we live on. Air pollution was just starting to become a problem from the huge SUVs everyone was driving. Today, the pollution hasn’t changed, but our awareness definitely has. It is important to not only love our planet because we won’t be given another one, but realize that these environmental toxins affect everyone on a personal level. The pollution that is released into the air and the chemicals put on our foods is not only destructive to the environment, but our bodies as well. This concerns everyone so come show your support of Protect Our Breasts on Earth Day!

All Day Yoga Sessions

Special guest instructions will be leading one-hour yoga sessions throughout the event! What better way to spread health awareness than to practice it? Yoga has a ton of health benefits, such as stress relief, joint therapy, spinal alignment, and increase flexibility. Holistic medicine has become a growing interest in the eyes of America. This type of practice focuses on the “whole person,” which includes the social, physical, and emotional aspects of life. If everything is in sync with your body then your center is balanced and your health will be maintained. Although it is not a cure for cancer, many patients use yoga as an alternate therapy to improve their physical and emotional wellness.

Safer Alternative Giveaways

What better way to appeal to the college community then free stuff? The event is supported by Late July organic snacks, Stonyfield yogurt, Seventh generation green cleaning products, Whole Foods Market, Badger Balm body products and many more! You can expect to get free samples from all of these lovely companies that want to provide us with clean and organic products. Organic food is grown without the use of pesticides and chemical fertilizers that is harmful to the environment and our bodies. These products are not processed and don’t contain food additives and industrial solvents.

Live Performance

Come see the incredible local band, Three Guys and a Box perform the closing ceremony from 6pm to 7pm. The band is comprised of the 3 unbelievably talented campus celebrities: Andrew Cataldo, Matt “Crisco” Criscuolo, and Nate Tepper. They preform every Thursday Night at Lit nightclub for Live ‘n’ Loud Thursdays where their energy never ceases to explode throughout the crowd. Now you can see them thrive again at the First Annual Earth Day Yogathon. You won’t want to miss their performance of a lifetime. Come jam out and support!

Pre-register at www.protectourbreasts.org/yogathon (Students: $10 in advance / $15 day of event; Non-student $20 / $25).

Currently a Senior majoring in Psychology, so naturally I am freaking out about finishing up the last couple months here at UMass. I have a passion for learning about human sexuality and ultimately hope to make it a career. I could not have asked for a better college experience and I wouldn't change a thing.Check out my blog!http://www.sexwithoutafilter.com 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst