29 Things To Smile About When Life Gets Hard

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

While fall may be my favorite season, it is also a very stressful one. Coming back to school has its perks, but eventually the schoolwork piles up and if you’re like me, so does the stress. Whether it’s difficult classes, trying to find off-campus housing for the next year, or the idea of graduation that’s stressing you out — you deserve a break. So take a few deep breaths and a couple of minutes with me to remember that there are many things worth smiling about! Not every reason will resonate with you, and that’s okay. Just take the ones that do and let yourself feel the warmth!

1.) The leaves are finally changing colors.

2.) Noah Kahan keeps releasing new music with different featured artists.

3.) Pumpkin donuts are back at Dunkin’ Donuts (Yum!).

4.) It’s finally cool enough for those big, chunky sweaters everyone loves.

5.) There’s always more cool items waiting for you in the thrift stores.

6.) You have the decision to be whoever you want to be every single day!

7.) You’re already eleven weeks through the semester (give yourself a pat on the back!).

8.) Apple picking season is here!

9.) Someone out there had their very first kiss today!

10.) Dancing is free!

11.) Animals exist and are literally everywhere (take a look outside and tell me that seeing a squirrel hop across the grass doesn’t make you want to grin a little).

12.) Your best days are still ahead of you.

13.) A stranger has walked past you before and thought about how cute you are.

14.) Football season is back which means you get to eat all those good, little appetizers while talking about how Taylor Swift is dating Travis Kelce.

15.) Tomorrow will be a new day and you can try again.

16.) There’s a kid out there today who finally learned how to ride a bike.

17.) Every person you’ve ever met has a little piece of you with them.

18.) Some birds dance for potential partners when trying to woo them (Look up “Our Planet Birds of Paradise on YouTube, I promise you won’t bedisappointed).

19.) There’s a full month, every month (which I don’t think people appreciateenough).

20.) Baby elephants suck on their trunks just like babies suck on their thumbs!

21.) The feeling of drinking hot tea out of your favorite mug on a snowy Sunday morning.

22.) Being wrapped up in a blanket fresh out of the dryer.

23.) Sharing a hug with someone you care about.

24.) Eating your favorite meal for the first time in a long time.

25.) Hearing that one song you forgot about but love.

26.) Finding the perfect pair of jeans.

27.) When the barista makes your coffee just right (I truly don’t know if anything is better than a perfect iced, vanilla latte with oat milk).

28.) Otters like to collect pretty rocks (I think I am an otter).

29.) You woke up today!

Life is full of endless possibilities and whatever it is you are going through right now will pass. When things get tough it can feel like everything sucks, butthere are millions of little things out there that stand as reminders that there is still good inthe world!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Danica Shores

U Mass Amherst '24

Danica Shores is from the small town of Sandwich, Massachusetts located on Cape Cod. She has grown up with a loving mother, 3 siblings, many cats, two turtles, and a bird. Her interests include yoga, self-care, poetry, and taking long walks. Currently, Danica is studying as a psychology major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Her interests revolve around medical social work and providing therapeutic practices for young-adult women.