17 Thoughts UMass Students Have While Walking to Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

While walking around our beloved UMass Amherst campus, we all have caught ourselves thinking the same thing. As big as this school is, we all experience the same problems, frustrations, and happy moments while walking to class. So to my fellow Minutemen, we are all in this together.

1. What is this weather?

You swear it was sixty degrees out yesterday, but now it’s thirty with a chance of snow. Western Mass needs to figure out this weather! You wear a jacket in the morning and then by the time you get out of classes, you’re sweating like crazy.

2. Who are you and why do I see you EVERYWHERE?

There is always at least one person on the same schedule, and you see them everywhere you go. You have never actually met them, so they will forever remain the kid you walk by everyday going to your Tuesday morning class.

3. Should I wave?

It might be the kid that lives down the hall from you or the one that you met at the pregame last Friday. Whoever it is, you know them, but not well. You don’t want to be rude and not say hello, but don’t know if they will recognize you or if you’re friendship is on the level of saying hi. You have an internal battle, and by the time you decide they are about to walk past you. Cue an awkward hand-jerked wave.

4. Oh, he has headphones in…

After shouting your friend’s name several times and receiving no response, you realize they are wearing headphones and cannot hear you (we’ve all been there).

5. Ah, biker!

Once the weather gets warm, the bikers come out. You have to be very careful during this time. (Most) bikers do not slow down or get out of the way for anyone. The congestion by the library means a high chance of collision.

6. Oh no, don’t bring your umbrella by the library

On a rainy day you break out all the gear: the rain boots, rain jacket, and your favorite umbrella. However, you know that when you walk by the wind tunnel that we call the library, you need to close your umbrella so it does not break. As a result, you cringe when the girl in front of you leaves hers open and it flips inside out.

7. Am I singing out loud?

Sometimes when you’re walking to class and your favorite songs plays, you don’t realize you’re singing out loud. It is difficult to tell when you have your headphones in and volume all the way up. In your head, you’re pretending you are Beyonce and sometimes your inner diva comes out. Just own it, even if you are the worst singer.

8. This is my workout for the day

After walking across campus you feel like you just accomplished so much. You can forget about going to the gym and running on the treadmill..

9. Squirrel!

Everyone knows UMass squirrels are the best. (And for some reason very distracting.)

10. Ow, my backpack weighs a ton

Why must school supplies and a laptop weigh so much? It’s not a lot until you’re walking up and down the hill and your back feels as though it is going to break.

11. I’m hungry

You strategically plan out where you can stop after class for lunch. The cafes only offer small pastries and what you really want is a grilled cheese and some french fries.

12. Class wasn’t canceled, right?

You always hope you just missed an email when you woke up that morning, so you check quickly to make sure your professor didn’t in fact cancel…and then get disappointed. 

13. Oooh, a tour group!

All the little itty-bitty high schoolers looking at UMass! You think back to your tour and how you felt so out of place and overwhelmed. Now you know the fastest way to every building and the cleanest bathrooms on campus. You only get slightly annoyed that they get in your way when you’re trying to get to class on time. 

14. I want that puppy

Whenever you see a dog on campus, it means it is the best day ever. You contemplate stealing the dog so you can cuddle and play fetch with the beautiful creature.

15.  Seriously, what is with all this construction?

There is always some type of construction on campus. Yeah they are making the school better, but now you have to take the long way to class, and that extra minute of walking makes you an unhappy camper.

16. Hopefully that car stops for me

Crossing the street at UMass is just a test of hope. Everyone just walks and hopes the cars stop for them. Luckily, they usually do.

17. Crap, I’m late

Oops…..

Photos: 123456789101112131415161718

An accounting major at the Univeristy of Massachusetts Amherst, Isenberg School of Management who loves mac n' cheese, dancing, and making people smile.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst