jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Profile: Mental Health Mondays with Chi Omega

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Mental health is a topic that should be addressed just as openly as physical health, yet this is not the case especially on college campuses. Many organizations at UMaine are trying to change this and create a stigma-free environment surrounding the conversation about mental health.  Some groups are specifically dedicated to this cause and others are joining in the fight one campaign at a time. We talked with Michaela Powers, UMaine alumnae of the Chi Omega, Xi Beta Chapter sorority and leader of the Mental Health Mondays campaign about what this event is about as well as the inspiration behind it.

How long has the Chi Omega, Xi Beta Chapter been at UMaine?

95 years on December 2nd.

What is the best part of being a Chi Omega & having the support of your sorority in this project?

The connections it allows you to make with others are amazing, you could see someone wear the letters in an airport and never have met her before, but it would feel like you have because you know you both have the same values and cherish the same traditions.

What is Mental Health Mondays? How did the idea start? What is the goal and what are you doing for this campaign?

Mental Health Mondays are social media posts (posted on Mondays) working towards breaking the stigma surrounding mental health. The idea for this campaign started from a school project and the inspiration was a campaign at another school called #stigmafreeCarolina. The idea is that by talking openly about mental illness, it will become less awkward and eventually the stigma will end. I’m a psychology and mass communications double major and I’ve also dealt with depression and anxiety, so this is a pretty important and personal project for me. Our #mentalhealthmondays campaign ends at the end of November and I hope by then it will have inspired at least one person to talk openly about mental illness!

To view the #mentalhealthmonday posts, check out Chi Omega on social media: Facebook: Chi Omega UMaine Instagram: umaine_chiomega Twitter: @ChiOmegaXiBeta

If you would like to reach out for support for yourself or a friend, please contact the Counseling Center at UMaine at 207.581.1392. 

Photo: from umaine-chiomega Instagram 

Chloe is a fourth-year Mass Communication major at the University of Maine. She is the Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UMaine. She is also contributing editor for Odyssey UMaine. Check out her blog at https://cdyer.bangordailynews.com/. She is passionate about writing, and in her free time enjoys reading, traveling and blogging.