This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

The former NFL star for the Cleveland Brown’s, Johnny Manziel, has been suffering from depression, alcohol abuse, has now been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, but still has a goal of reentering the NFL.  In 2015 the Brown’s quarterback was released from the team due to poor performance and outside incidences related to alcohol consumption.  He has opened up about his struggles throughout his years as a player, once winning the Heisman Trophy while at Texas A&M.  Johnny has taken action with his mental health by taking medications to help him manage his disorder to be able to make a comeback as a football player.  He has been offered a contract by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of Canada, and is keeping the offer open as of now.  He has currently stated that he is sober after having entered a rehab program, but has his heart set on his goal of making an NFL comeback.  It’s uplifting to see someone admit their struggles but won’t let that get in the way of their end goal.  Like Johnny, you can do/get through anything, no matter what you are going through, as long as you are determined and have your heart set on it.

Photos: 1

Lindsay is a third year Nursing major at the University of Maine. She enjoys working out, being with friends and family, and is an avid traveler.
Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.