This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

College is a lot of fun. College is a time when we meet some of the best friends we will ever have. College is a time where we do ridiculously stupid things we will laugh about in our 40s. College is a time when we further our education and life experiences. College is also not the same for everybody. 

The sad truth is; college isn’t always fun. As an advocate for mental health and awareness, I find it interesting that many of my peers are unaware that the prime age of onset for many mental health difficulties is during our college years. The five most common mental health issues that affect college students include anxiety, depression, suicide, addiction and eating disorders. While college is not the cause of these mental health issues, it can often be a trigger for these disorders. In the middle of a major life transition, it is normal for the stress and difficulties of everyday life to take over.

The week of February 21st – 27th is National Eating Disorders Awareness Week (#NEDAwareness)

Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness. 86% of students report onset of an eating disorder by age 20. Anorexia is the third most common chronic illness among adolescents. 91% of women surveyed on a college campus have attempted to control their weight through dieting. 95% of those who have eating disorders are between the ages of 12 and 25. The mortality rate associated with anorexia is 12 times higher than the death rate associated with all causes of death for females ages 15 to 24. 

Hard to believe, right? What’s harder to believe is that all of these statistics are drawn from reported cases only. Not all cases of eating disorders and disordered eating are reported.

As an advocate, as a student, as a girl that has grown up in a culture obsessed with thin bodies and objectifying women, I’m saying next week is an opportunity to recognize how the previously mentioned obstacles have had their effect on us and our peers. Take the time to think of your friends, sisters, roommates, brothers, and classmates, and then take the time to think of yourself. Next week is a perfect opportunity to become more informed and conscientious of this prevalent issue and ways to do your part in making the world an easier and healthier place.

“I swear that girl doesn’t eat, she’s so thin…”

The term “eating disorder” is most commonly associated with anorexia nervosa and the image of a stick-thin female. I’ll admit, there was a time in my life when the first image that came to mind when I heard the term ‘eating disorder’ was a faceless blonde model with a jutting collarbone and hips. The misconceptions that surround eating disorders and mental health problems in general contribute to the lack of awareness, recognition skills and knowledge that is a current issue in our culture and on our own campus. Not all those suffering from an eating disorder look the same way. Those afflicted with bulimia nervosa often have normal BMI’s, and those afflicted with binge eating disorders are sometimes overweight. This is an important misconception to be mindful of because it can add to stereotypes that prevent the recognition of a problem.

“I don’t think I would call it an eating disorder. I would just maybe call it disordered eating?”

In my time at UMaine, I have heard this sentence used. I remember, after hearing it out loud, that I didn’t understand how it made sense. Then this person explained to me that she had Googled diagnoses, looked up definitions and measured her BMI. She explained to me that she was “fine” because she was not physically harming her body. She was right, in terms of having a physically diagnosable eating disorder, she did not. She did, however, possess a quality that many individuals who struggle with disordered eating possess- denial. She maintained a “healthy” weight, therefore she didn’t think seeking help was necessary. However, food, exercise and counting calories, ruled a majority of her thoughts- but since the number on the scale was not something she considered dangerous, she never thought to seek help or guidance with her obsession. Most patients do not reach every single clinical criterion for an eating disorder, but recognizing and seeking help is important before disordered thinking leads to disordered eating, and disordered eating leads to serious emotional and physical problems with potentially life-threatening consequences.

“You have to eat something.”

This is a lot of information.  This is a lot of information that may be hard to hear and may be hard to believe.  You may be thinking, “OK, what am I supposed to do to solve a problem that afflicts up to 30 million people?” You can help by doing exactly what next week is dedicated to- making yourself aware. Making those around you aware. Using this awareness to help and assist those around you live the healthiest life they can. The way I look at it, a little education never hurt anybody. I’ve never regretted reading an article on a topic I knew nothing about. I’ve never regretted watching a documentary instead of going on a Netflix binge. I’ve never regretted gaining new insight and information that could potentially help me or help someone else. I know that none of you would hold these regrets either. Take the time and the information that NEDA (National Eating Disorders Association) is providing and look towards yourself, look towards the people you care about and make the effort to ensure they are making healthy choices regarding their eating and self-care.

“I didn’t realize I had a problem before. I’m glad you were there for me.”

For more information, visit http://nedawareness.org

If you would like a more interactive, informational experience or would like to show your support, stop by the UMaine Active Minds table at the New Balance Student Recreation Center Monday February 22nd from 4-8.

Information & Statistics drawn from “ANAD.” Eating Disorders Statistics. American Journal of Psychiatry, 2009. Web. 16 Feb. 2016.

Katelyn is a Senior at the University of Maine studying Psychology and Child Development/Family Relations. Her involvement with Her Campus began at the UMaine chapter in 2015. Currently she is President/Co-Campus Coordinator of the UMaine chapter. In addition to HerCampus, Katelyn is also Secretary of UMaine's Active Minds chapter. Katelyn's future plans include traveling, being a dog owner and figuring out how to be an adult. Fun fact: she uses excessive amounts of hairspray & loves to wear black.
Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.