Fit and Fresh Recipe: Spaghetti Squash

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

As the weather cools down and the leaves begin to fall, you might be looking for a new fall recipe to complement  the new season. Search no more, here you go. If you haven’t tried spaghetti squash yet, you are seriously missing out. It’s so simple to do and super delicious! Plus, squash is just hitting the local farmers’ markets so it is a perfect time to buy local, as well! Spaghetti squash is a great pasta alternative, and all you need for the simple recipe is a spaghetti squash (remember, the bigger the squash, the longer it has to cook) and some salt, pepper,  garlic powder (optional), and extra virgin olive oil.

1. Preheat the oven to 350 and cut the squash in half length wise. Chances are, the squash will be pretty firm and hard to cut through so here’s a helpful hint; poke holes all over it with a fork or knife and put it in the microwave for three minutes before cutting.

2.  Scoop out all the seeds on both halves of the squash.

3. Rub the olive oil on the insides of the squash and sprinkle the salt, pepper, and garlic powder to your liking on both halves. Flip them over, and do the same thing to the outside.

4. Cook in the oven on a baking sheet for 45 minutes or until the squash is tender on the inside.

5. Take a fork and scrape the squash out. It’ll be stringy pieces (hence the name spaghetti squash)

You’re done! I enjoy putting a little extra olive oil after on it and parmesan cheese. It’s super tasty and can be used as a side dish or a whole meal! Enjoy!

Erin Vogel is a Senior at the University of Maine majoring in Abnormal/Social Psychology with a minor in Child Development and Family Relations.
Taylor is a fourth-year journalism student at the University of Maine and one of Her Campus UMaine's campus correspondants. Taylor was born right outside of Philadephia, Pennsylvania, but spent summers teaching sailing on Vinalhaven, Maine. Taylor also produces video for The Maine Campus, and loves making videos.