This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

With news that Starbucks is aiming to eliminate all plastic straws by 2020, others have taken a greener initiative as well! Reusable straws have been found in every Homegoods and Amazon prime cart across the country. Interested in being greener? Check out these tips below!

1. Eliminating straws completely

While the reusable straw initiative is a great step, something we often don’t think of is the production of stainless steel straws and silicone. Opt for no straw as often as you can!  But, if it’s a necessity, Starbucks is also selling a reusable plastic cold cup for $3 that gets you $0.10 off each drink when you bring in the cup!

2. Buying local

The Orono Farmers Market, open Tuesdays 2:30 PM – 5:30 PM and Saturdays 8 AM – 12 PM in the Steam Plant lot offer so much local produce that can lower your carbon footprint and also support Maine businesses!

3. Eliminating packages on beauty products

Shampoo and conditioner bars, lotion bars, body wash bars, face wash bars – you name it, LUSH probably has an alternative in the form of a bar that doesn’t need packaging! You probably don’t even realize the plastic containers used for your favorite beauty products, but it’s something so simple to eliminate!

4. Reusable produce and shopping bags

Check out local websites that make handmade sewn items like reusable shopping bags to support local business and cut down on some unnecessary plastics! Julias Thread, an Etsy/Instagram shop run by a senior at UMaine sells the cutest handmade pieces including reusable produce bags!

The best way to be green is to make an effort to reduce your waste and think of small, everyday things that contribute to the bigger picture!

Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.
Gabbi is a senior at the University of Maine studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in Psychology. She hopes to write and publish her own novel one day!