Style > Beauty

A Skincare Routine To Get You Through The Dry Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

If you’re in the awkward stage of life where your skin is just not cooperating no matter what you do, just know you’re not alone. Finding the right skin care routine for your own skin can be one of the most challenging things you deal with as a teenager or adult. Especially if you’re not trying to break the bank! So here are some of my favorite skin care products!

Cleanser- It’s very important before applying any moisturizer or serums to wash your face! Lots of dirt can accumulate over the day so working with a clean face is very important. My favorite high end cleanser is the face wash bars by Drunk Elephant. Although these bars are considered high end, they are still very affordable and do wonders for the skin! If you’re looking for an easier alternative that you can pick up at your local drugstore, I would highly recommend CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser. Both are great facial cleansers. 

Moisturizers- I like to keep my skincare routine very simple but I do take moisturizing very seriously, especially during the dry colder seasons! My all time favorite moisturizer that I swear by is the Lala Retro Whipped Cream by Drunk Elephant. This is the thickest, most hydrating moisturizer I have ever used. It isn’t the most affordable, especially for college students, so I have been on the hunt trying to find more affordable options. The runner up is the Water Bank Moisture Cream by Laneige. This moisturizer has such a smooth, lightweight formula that makes your face feel so hydrated but not heavy. Although it is more affordable than the Drunk Elephant, it can still be too expensive for some! The last, most affordable moisturizer that I highly recommend is the CeraVe moisturizing cream. It has a lighter consistency to it, but still very hydrating! It comes in a large container which is amazing because it will last you all Fall and Winter which are very dry months!

Masks- Aside from a daily routine, it is important to get a weekly mask in there to purge the skin and really refresh it. My all time favorite mask is the Indian Healing Clay mask by Aztec Secret. You take a little of this powder and mix it with apple cider vinegar and it creates a thick paste. You then leave it on your face for about 15-20 minutes and it does wonders for your skin! It is also so affordable and will last you months. 

This is the best skincare I have found for me! I prefer to keep a nice, simple routine because sometimes less is more. Give these products a try and help your skin survive these colder months!

Hello everyone! I am a third year student at The University of Maine who is currently studying Business Management while minoring in English. Aside from hercampus, I am very passionate about mental health and bringing awareness to it. When i'm not studying, I love taking my dog and I on our daily mental health walks!