harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

10 Songs That Helped Me Through a Mental Breakdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

*If you are worried about yourself or a friend, call the national Suicide Prevention Lifeline (888-273-TALK) or text the Crisis Text Line (text START to 741-741)*

Three weeks ago, something snapped inside me, and I’m still not able to really understand or explain it. It was basically a mental breakdown that was stretched out for much longer than I was ever used to. I wanted to give up. No matter what I did, nothing motivated me to take care of myself or get things done. I skipped classes and broke my gym streak. Getting out of bed and wearing a smile were the hardest thing I had to do everyday. When my parents called to check in on me, I lied and told them everything was great. I didn’t recognize myself at all.

These are 10 songs that have helped me get through my mental breakdown, and here is the link to my “just breathe” playlist for more:

https://open.spotify.com/user/starfire2020/playlist/5Gr6qUq077XAvXn6qOjEJZ?si=xQ86J_4rSFSQepJf8vf6Rg

1. hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have – Lana Del Rey

Don’t ask if I’m happy, you know that I’m not / But at best, I can say I’m not sad / ‘Cause hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have

2. Heart of Gold – Birdy

When my heart is made from gold / And the hurt is just too bold / I still find it in my heart / To say I love you

3. Jungle – Tash Sultana

But you throw me into the deep end / Expect me to know how to swim / And I put my faith inside my hands / Cause I will be just fine

4. Pools to Bathe in – the Japanese House

It’s easy feeding fears with flowers / And staying wild while I’m just a child

5. Wake up – EDEN

And you’ll feel better when you wake up / Taking off your make up / Sun always seems to wash our fears away / And it’s always shining somewhere

6. Sun Comes Up (ft. James Arthur) – Rudimental

And I sang ’til my lungs were burnin’ / ‘Til I know I’m alive, alive, yeah / I’ll sit ’til I can’t hear words no more

7. Breathe me – Sia

Be my friend, hold me / Wrap me up, unfold me / I am small, I’m needy / Warm me up and breathe me

8. His Daughter – Molly Kate Kestner

So if you’re listening, could you give a helping hand / To your daughter

9. WHEN I WAS OLDER – Billie Eilish

I’m on my back again / Dreaming of a time and place / Where you and I remain the best of friends / Even after all this ends / Can we pretend?

10. To Build A Home (feat. Patrick Watson) – The Cinematic Orchestra

And, I built a home / For you, for me / Until it disappeared / From me, from you

Freshman at University of Maine in Orono from Scarborough, Maine. Psychology major, dancer and figure skater.
Gabbi is a senior at the University of Maine studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in Psychology. She hopes to write and publish her own novel one day!