danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What to Look for When Joining Clubs This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

One of the most important things you can do in college is joining a club. Joining a club builds your resume, provides opportunities to meet new people and helps you find your place at the university. But when there are so many clubs on campus, it gets overwhelming to decide which ones to join, so here is a list of things to consider when joining a club!  

1. Clubs Related To Your Major

Joining clubs related to your major is valuable to get insight on what your major is all about in the real world! Academic clubs tailored to certain majors always have professionals and alumni come in and talk about their job experiences and explain what it’s really like out there. Also, some academic clubs hold workshops that will even help you develop the skills that are needed for jobs. This is a great way to network with professionals that come (who may offer you an internship) and it’s an awesome way to meet people who are studying the same major as you!

2. Clubs That Make A Difference

What goes around, comes around. Making a difference in other people’s lives is one of the best things you could experience. Consider joining a club that is tailored to helping people in need. Volunteering at a homeless shelter, helping out senior citizens in a nursing home and working at an animal shelter is one of the few things you can do to make a great impact in the world. People usually choose something close to their major, but any volunteer work looks good in a resume because it shows that you care about the community you live in, and giving back to the community is the best thing to do.

3. Clubs That Make You Happy  

We already have to deal with the stress of classes, so clubs should be a place where you relax and be involved with things that make you happy. Do you love playing frisbee? Then join your school’s intramural frisbee club! Do you love singing? Then consider auditioning for an acapella group on campus! And while it’s important to build your resume, clubs should also be a place where you make close friends and meet new people to connect with! Some of the best friendships are made from joining clubs, and you could meet people that you never thought you would!

So, I encourage you to check out clubs on campus to get involved in. It will make your time at school that much better and memorable!

Image Credits: image1, image2, image3

Amara Jammalamadaka is studying Computer Science and working towards her Data Analysis certificate at the University of Iowa. When she isn't piled with classwork, she likes to read comics, watch animes, and jam out to K-pop!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.