Renting 101: How To Find Your Perfect Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Finding a place to live at the University of Iowa is beyond stressful. There are so many apartments to choose from…so why is it so hard? You can search and search and finally find the perfect place, but it’s full. You love the apartment, but it’s too expensive. It’s time to expand your options. Check out these sites to help you find a place to live!

Apartments Downtown

One of the most popular apartment rental agencies in Iowa City. They have huge selections from houses, townhouses and apartments. They consistently have full apartments year to year and, for the most part, have satisfied customers. Check them out, specifically for apartments.

Apartments Near Campus

Similar to Apartments Downtown, Apartments Near Campus also has a solid selection of apartments. Also known as one of the more popular agencies in Iowa City, their selection is up to par. Apartments Near Campus has houses and townhouses for rent as well as apartments. If you’re looking for apartments close to the heart of campus, check these out!

Big Ten Property Management

Who wouldn’t want to live next to Kinnick stadium in the heart of Melrose. Big Ten Property Management has a wide variety of houses and is well known for their selection on Melrose and in the Kinnick area. However, they aren’t limited to just that area. Big Ten Property Management is known for having some of the best houses in Iowa City. If apartment life isn’t for you, check out these houses. They won’t get much better than this!

Zillow

Rent, buy or sell, Zillow has it all. Zillow provides a wide variety of apartments, townhouses and houses in the Iowa City area. Not only does Zillow have properties mainly listed on their site, but they feature rentals from a variety of different sites. Zillow is a one-stop-shop for houses due to them featuring many properties from Apartments Downtown, Apartments Near Campus, Big Ten Property Management, etc. If you want to get your living situation figured out fast, Zillow is the place for you!

Apartments.com

Similar to Zillow, Apartments.com features a wide variety pulled from different sites. However, one thing that makes them specifically special is that they feature a lot of off-campus apartments as well. Not only do they provide apartments off of the campus, but they also feature the University of Iowa’s properties, such as The Quarters and Hawks Ridge. A lot of the university’s housing provides great perks for students such as hot tubs, tanning beds and community rooms. If you want high class living without the city noise, this is the place for you.

Hodge Property Management (Apartments in Iowa City)

Although this is a smaller agency, Hodge Property Management has some secretly good apartments. This year’s big waiting list apartment in specific, The Depot, is under the management of this agency. Consistent great reviews have been given, which is probably why their buildings are such a success. They strictly have apartments. Check them out fast; they’re going quick!

Good luck in your apartment search, collegiettes! It’s great to be a Hawkeye, especially when you find the perfect place to live. 

My name is Claudia Jannes, and I am a junior at the University of Iowa! I am a English and creative writing major in hopes to become a high school English teacher. I am thankful for her campus for giving me a voice on campus and on the internet!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.