It’s 2018 And The Brita Is Empty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

The Brita is the source of life after a night of heavy drinking. If you have one, you know it can be a pain to have to refill it, but to have it is a blessing.

It’s 2018 and I would expect that everyone knows to refill the Brita to its highest potential. It should be a number one rule of owning a Brita. Fill it so many can have plenty to drink.

It’s not just the fact that the Brita is still empty, it’s the fact people have known this for ages, and yet here they are in 2018 still doing the same crap.

Well, it’s not too late to stop these things from continuing in 2018. This should be the year that we no longer continue being on our bulls***.

Here are the things that need to stop before 2018 ends or else we just wasted our time.

Mansplaining…

Mansplaining is when a man explains to someone in a manner that is condescending or patronizing. It’s very entertaining when men do it to a woman who is an expert in a field she is in because it just proves how stupid and wrong they are. Men, please stop trying to explain how you think you’re right because most likely you are not. Also, all hell would be raised if we did that to men.

Unsolicited advice…

Sometimes when a person is talking about an issue they have, they may be asking for you to sympathize, but they feel the best thing to do is to tell you how to do something. You tell them how amazing this chicken is, they’ll tell you another place with better chicken. You tell them how a boy broke your heart, they tell you how to approach the next boy you talk to.  If I wanted advice, I would ask it in an asking form such as “what should I do?” Either way, we’re all bad at taking the advice that is given to us.

Talking during TV shows and movies…

I’m the type of person who loves silence when I’m watching a movie. I hate when you show someone a great movie or show you’ve watched and all they do is ask questions when their question would be answered in the next second of the movie if they were just paying attention. Also, if you promise to binge a series with someone and watch it without them, I hope all your shows buffer.

People ghosting…

It’s 2018 and people are still not being forward about their feelings for another, or lack of. Instead of leaving someone to wonder why you won’t respond back, just tell them it isn’t clicking. It saves EVERYONE time.

Passive aggressiveness…

I have been called the “Queen of Passive Aggressive,” but I only resort to this when someone does not get my straightforward point I make. I can tell someone I don’t like them talking during movies and when they talk during movies, I’ll probably say, “do you have any other questions?” or “shall I pause so I can answer your questions?” We should all work on it before it becomes the official language of the United States.

Catcalling…

I cannot tell you how many times I’ve been grabbed and spoken to in such an inappropriate way. Catcalling is not flattering what so ever, whether it’s a random person blurting out “hey sweet thing” or just saying “hi.” Yes, random men saying hi to you is a FORM OF CATCALLING. If it makes someone awkward or uncomfortable, it’s catcalling. Please stop, your words and actions are unnecessary.

NO means NO…

No simply means no, maybe means no and yes means yes.

Maybe this explanation will be your cup of tea

People not realizing their privilege…

Micro-aggressions are still aggressions. One I received that still bothers me to this day is when one of my sorority sisters told me that she “forgets that I’m Asian because I act ‘white.’” I didn’t know Asian people were supposed to act a certain way that is specific to their race. Micro-aggressions are everyday verbal, nonverbal, snubs, or insults that, intentional or unintentional, communicate hostile or negative messages to target someone based on their marginalized group. It’s 2018, please stop being ignorant. 

We aren’t perfect, but we can always be better. So let’s work towards being better people this year and not be total a-holes and remember to fill the damn Brita. 

Photos: Cover, 1, 2, 3,

Amy is currently a senior at the University of Iowa majoring in Journalism and Mass Communication, minor in political science with certificates in Event Planning and Entrepreneurial Management and HC UIowa's Trouble Maker. Her dream job is to work in Public Relations or Event Planning and plans to also become a lawyer, like the 9 years old Amy planned. Whenever she's not writing articles, she's usually online shopping, binging on Netflix, or laughing at her own jokes. Midwestern Prep with the worst luck in the world, you can keep track of her worst case scenarios on Twitter.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.