This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

The new year is an exciting time. We get to reminisce about all the memories we made, put the things we would rather not remember into the past and reflect so that we can make new goals for ourselves. With these goals in mind, how do we stay motivated enough to make them last all the way through the year?

Here are 5 ways to help you stay motivated toward your goals this year!

1. Set Attainable Goals

Make sure that the goals you set are within your grasp. Yearly goals are not your lifetime goals. However, they could be helping you work toward a lifetime goal. My point is, don’t expect to have the perfect life by next year. Try to make simple changes to your lifestyle to get you there ONE STEP at a time. There’s nothing that kills motivation faster than feeling like you can’t achieve what you set out to do.

2. Get Organized and Stay Organized

Staying organized is the key to staying motivated. Keeping a list of all your assignments and organizing them by day can help you know when your busiest times are and it will feel so good to cross each day off that list. Also, keeping a big calendar of big upcoming to-dos will keep you on top of studying and projects. The more organized you are, the less you will procrastinate, and the less stressed out you will be down the road. If we feel like we have our lives together, we can accomplish anything! 

3. Stop Multitasking

Contrary to what you may think, watching Netflix and doing your work is not helping you. Multitasking causes you to lose focus and be less efficient. Wouldn’t you rather just get your work done so you can kick back after?

4. Don’t Forget To Take Care of You

Living life can be exhausting. Take a break. Go to bed early. Dress up randomly. Tell yourself positive affirmations. Do whatever makes you feel good. If you feel good, you will do better and stay more motivated.

5. Reward Yourself

Do something fun with your friends after a long week of hard work. Give yourself some time to think about other things in your life. You have friends. You have hobbies. Go enjoy your life. This is the time. Nobody should have to work all the time.

Motivation all comes down to you and the actions that you take. If you want to do better, you need to change the things you do one step at a time. This isn’t going to change overnight, but don’t forget to let yourself have some time to just do things that you enjoy too. Balance your life and you will be golden throughout 2019!

Image Credit: 1,2, 3, 4, 5 

Delaney is a journalism major with a certificate in sustainability at the University of Iowa. Her dream career is to become a Marine Biologist and advocate for the environment through research and writing. In her free time, she enjoys music, friends, and the occasional ice cream venture (Okay, maybe not so occasional).
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.