This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Valentine’s Day: the biggest Hallmark-made cringe-worthy holiday on the planet… or is it?

Many perceive Valentine’s Day as the biggest self-loathing day out of the year, and others can’t wait to shower (or be showered) in stuffed teddy bears, cards and literally everything heart shaped.

I guess it depends on if you’re dating someone or single af… but that’s the thing, it doesn’t. I’m here to share how to avoid Valentine’s Day depression and show you that this dreaded holiday can still be fun for anyone- single or not. Here are some tips for self-love on the 14th (or any day for that matter).

Tip 1: Get Yourself Something Nice 

As Tom Haverford and Donna Meagle would say, “Treat yo self!” It doesn’t have to be anything extravagant or overpriced (unless that’s what you’re going for), but more, something you really enjoy or have had your eye on. It could be a cute nail polish color, a new dress or maybe a new phone case. Doesn’t matter, just treat yo self girl!

Tip 2: Pamper Yourself

Schedule a massage, go get your nails done (or do them yourself with your new nail polish) or try a new hairstyle. Don’t ever feel like you have no one to impress. Impressing yourself is one of the best things you can do because it builds self-confidence, and nothing is better than feeling good inside and out. Check out Pinterest for great ideas for these types of things, especially if you don’t want to break the bank.

Tip 3: Do Something Fun With Your Friends

Grab the gals and go out for a nice lunch or dinner, or any activity you love for that matter. For me, I love dressing up, so make it a photo op! Take a cute selfie or candid pics with your friends. All that matters is that you surround yourself with good people, especially if you find yourself feeling down on this holiday.

Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be a day full of self-loathing. Sometimes, the best parts of life are when you are single. February 14th should be for all, relationship or not. I hope these tips are helpful and that each one of you lovely ladies has a self love-filled day.

Image Credit: 1,

I am a motivated journalism major here at the University of Iowa earning my certificate in entrepreneurial management as well. I love videography, fashion and music, and am looking forward to publishing my work as a writer.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.