This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

So the time has finally come. It is July and you’ve been waiting for this since Her Campus became a regular part of your life, and you realize that this is finally real. It is finally time to join the national conference in New York City for Her Conference. *Record scratch freeze frame* So you might be wondering who I am and how this came about. This is about the time I went to Her Conference, a memoir.

So it all started, somewhat how you are starting here now, by reading articles off of the Her Campus site on Facebook. Once the tips and tricks became helpful, I became more and more excited about the possibilities out there that this web content and social media outlet had to offer. Once I realized my college campus had its own chapter, I was quick to join. Before I knew it, I was a contributor on the editorial team in my own club and I was excited to share my ideas and voice. Our chapter was encouraged, like many other schools were, to join the national conference in New York City, thus began my adventure. 

I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I first decided to commit to going on the trip to New York City. I knew big speakers would be there, and that there would be a lot of great women around to network with, but I had no idea just how amazing it would end up being. The conference was more than just workshops and lectures, it was an experience that I will never forget. The most beautiful part of the conference was that I left feeling more capable than I ever thought possible, I had confidence, and most importantly, I was proud to be a female and pursuing something more for myself. The conference was more than a conference, but a movement to make women feel the value they deserve as human beings. The conference felt like a movement to make it out there in the world and feel empowered. 

First of all, unlike other conferences, Her Conference made sure to provide the amenities. Throughout the event not only did we have buffets of Panera and bagels, but there was always a bar with water and juice, and snacks if you get hungry. There was also a place to get your nails done professionally and a team of hairstylists and makeup artists to give you a mini makeover when you had a break between activities. There were people promoting new products and hosting giveaways, and throughout the event every member received their own gift basket with free makeup, lotion, and various other products.

Then the main juice and jelly, the keynote speakers. There was so many incredible speakers at Her Conference, but the one that stood out the most to me was Michelle Poller. Granted, this is not a promotion, but simply the workshop that impacted me the most. The best part was her teaching to not let fear stop you, but to excite you, as well going outside your comfort zone, because when you do you will find yourself in places and opportunities you could never have dreamed of. I felt inspired, and I saw myself in the fears Michelle described and felt freed. Whether the conference helped our careers or helped our self-esteem, one thing is for sure, it really was an incredible experience and I am forever grateful for the opportunity to be a part of such an amazing organization.  

Image Credit: Cover, Melissa Trepa

Writing is my passion, hopefully reading is yours!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.