9 Fashion Essentials Every Girl Needs This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Spring in the midwest is cold, rainy, warm, sunny and everything in between, depending on the day. Refreshing your wardrobe can be tough when you don’t know what to prepare for. But with these nine fashion essentials in your closet, I’m confident you’ll be set for whatever this season throws your way!

1. Basic tees

Basic T-shirts are great staple pieces for every season. Because they are so, well, basic, it’s super easy to pair them with a ton of different outfits. I’d personally recommend having one black, one white and one gray basic tee on hand for maximum style flexibility.

2. Jean jacket

Yes, jean jackets are useful for darty szn, but they are also perfect for other occasions, too! Jean jackets are a great transition piece. Since the weather is finally starting to warm up, jean jackets are great for those semi-chilly days where a winter coat is just a bit too much, but you still need something to keep your arms warm. And as the weather gets even warmer they are perfect to bring along with you for those chilly spring nights.

3. Sneakers

Sneakers, gym shoes, tennies, whatever you want to call them, casual shoes are so essential this spring! Not only are they functional and much more comfortable than huge boots or tiny sandals, they are cute, too! My personal favorites right now are my Adidas Superstar’s, but if you’re looking for something a bit more college budget friendly places like Target and Payless have a ton of fashionable and cost effective options too!

4. T-shirt Dresses

OBSESSED WITH THESE. T-shirt dresses are the perfect balance of “I want to be extremely comfy but also not look like I just got out of bed and didn’t try.” Just like the basic tees above, t-shirt dresses are perfect staple items. Not too short, not too long, doesn’t restrict you like a pair of jeans might but looks more put together than a pair of leggings. Throw on a pair of cute sneakers and a jean jacket, and you’re ready roll.

5. Booties

Now that we’ve covered casual shoes we can talk about the step up! Booties, like t-shirt dresses, are a great way to add a bit more of a “I tried a little” look to your outfit. Having something simple on like a basic tee, jeans and then throwing on a pair of booties can transform the look completely and help you go from eh to ayyyyeee real quick.

6. Off-the-shoulder/cold-shoulder anything

These two seem to be a hit or miss for most girls. I work in retail and can say that the off the shoulder and cold shoulder trends are hands down the most common styles in our store. From flowy dresses to structured tops and everything in between, these two trends are, in my opinion, so cute and definitely worth a try!

7. Distressed jeans

Denim in general is a huge deal this season. Distressed denim, however, is an even hotter item! Throwing on a pair of distressed jeans is a great way to take a simple outfit, like plain jeans and a tee, and make it a little bit more interesting with some texture. It also adds a certain edgy feel to a look which can be fun if it’s not something you’re used to.

8. Solid bag

Every girl needs a bag that will hold all her random stuff AND complete her outfit. My personal favorite style has been a cross body bag, but another recent style that seems to be rockin’ is the backpack. Your school bag is fine, but I’m talking about a more fashion-oriented backpack that maybe isn’t as worn down or heavy as your Jansport. Again, Target has been notorious for having a great affordable and adorable selection.

9. Sunglasses

With the whole “April showers bring May flowers” thing going on, you might not need these for a while. Nevertheless, having a pair of sunglasses that fit your face right is a key part of your spring wardrobe. Some popular styles are aviators, butterfly shaped sunnglasses and, my personal favorite, the classic Rayban Originals. Once you find the shape that works best for you, you’ll be all set for when the sun actually decides to show itself again.

Now that you know all the essentials you’ll wanna keep an eye out for this season, you’re ready for the best spring style ever!

Hannah is the President of Her Campus Iowa and has been a member of the chapter for the last 3 years. She is a senior from the suburbs of Chicago studying Journalism and Mass Communications and is a huge reality T.V. show fan (she may or may not have secretly bought a Hulu subscription just to binge watch KUWTK...no tea, no shade). After graduating, Hannah's goal is to land a social media position at a beauty and lifestyle company so she can utilize her skills to represent their brand and expand her own knowledge and creativity. 
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.