7 Best Healthy Food Joints in Iowa City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

We all try to go for the bikini body in the summer. And honestly, it’s fairly easy to do. We aren’t stuck in a lousy Iowa City apartment fending for ourselves or eating in dining halls, and we have the freedom to make ourselves healthy food. Returning to school, this is often not the case. Everywhere we turn, there is a burger or burrito or some other deliciously terrible food staring us in the face, and it is hard to not give in. So, I have made a list of my favorite places to eat healthy in Iowa City if you’re still looking to go out for a bite to eat but don’t want to lay on the couch and look at pictures of your summer bod in lamentation afterward. Eat away, collegiettes!

1. Heirloom 

I think we can all agree that when it comes to an Iowa City salad, Heirloom is where you want to be. From build your own salads to their own signature mixes, your stomach is as happy as your body is. They also have amazing sandwiches and soups that are great for you, too!

2. Bread Garden

While Bread Garden tends to be a bit pricey, if you are going for quality, gourmet, organic food, there is really no comparison. Bread Garden has sandwiches along with a fantastic buffet style option for lunch that you can take to their cute patio after picking your delicious poison.

3. High Ground

I know, I know: this is a coffee shop! But they actually have amazing sandwiches and salads that are full of fresh vegetables (I would reccommend the Avocado Slam), and hey, what’s the harm in geting a coffee on the side?

4. The Rec

Surprisingly enough, the CRWC is a great place to go if you’re looking for a healthy meal. Especially post-workout! They have great sandwiches and wraps as well as amazing smoothies.

5. Nodo

Nodo is a little trickier because you can order healthy here, or you can take a 180 and order a delicious sandwich packed with savory calories. However, their salads are really great, and some of their wraps are packed with veggies as well.

6.Pita Pit

Pita Pit, while not a local restaurant, is super conveniently located on campus and has really healthy options! If you’re on the go and don’t have time to wait but don’t want greasy fast food, Pita Pit is a great option. You can fill your low carb pita with lean meats and fresh vegetables, and it is delish.

7. Trumpet Blossom Cafe

This one is a bit farther off campus, so it isn’t great for a quick bite between classes, but is definitely walkable if you have the time. It is especially great for healthy breakfast food, and they even have several vegetarian and vegan options.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4

Emily is a sophomore at the University of Iowa studying Communication Studies and Event Planning. She is a member of Alpha Chi Omega and her plans for her future are to simply eat so many waffles she becomes Leslie Knope.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.