6 Quick and Healthy Meals to get You through Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

With finals week approaching, we have a lot to deal with when it comes to school, work, student organizations, sports, Greek life and social lives. With all of that going on, eating right is important so we can keep our brains and bodies moving. We all know, though, that preparing meals or going out to eat can take up valuable time. We’ve put together six great recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner that are not only quick, but also deliciously satisfying!

Breakfast

1. Fruit &Yogurt

Ingredients: 1 apple

1 banana

1 orange

Pinch of sugar

Nonfat vanilla yogurt

Preparation: Wash the apple, then dice. Peel the banana, slice, then cut those slices in half. Cut the orange into crescents, then cut those in half and remove peel. Mix apple, banana, and orange in a bowl and add a pinch of sugar. Eat with yogurt on the side, or combine with fruit.

*Recipe from Seventeen Magazine, Photo credits to Joan Vicent Canto Roig/ istock*

This is the perfect on-the-go breakfast that you can change up every day with different fruits or types of yogurt! It’s loaded with protein, so it will keep you satisfied until lunch time and give you plenty of energy to take on the day!

2. Breakfast Taco

Ingredients: 2 corn tortillas

1 tablespoon salsa

2 tablespoons reduced-fat Cheddar (or any other preferred cheese)

1/2 cup liquid egg substitute

Preparation: Top tortillas with salsa and cheese. Heat in microwave until cheese is melted (about 30 seconds). Coat a small, non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat and add egg substitute. Stir until eggs are cooked through (about 90 seconds). Divide eggs between tacos and enjoy!

*Recipe from Delish, Photo credits to Eating Well*

Everybody loves a good taco, so starting off your day with a healthy breakfast taco means you’re bound to walk out of your place feeling full and happy as ever!

Lunch

3. Turkey and Cucumber Sandwich

Ingredients: 1/2 cup non-fat mayonnaise

3/4 teaspoon horseradish

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 cup cooked turkey breast (chopped)

1 tablespoon scallions (finely chopped)

2 slices Rye bread

1/4 seedless cucumber (thinly sliced)

Preparation: In a medium bowl, toss together the mayonnaise, horseradish, garlic powder, and black pepper. Mix in the turkey and scallions. Divide mixture among the 2 slices of bread. Overlap cucumber slices in an even layer over turkey, and enjoy!

*Recipe from Women’s Health, Photo credits to Women’sHealthMagazine.com*

This sandwich is the perfect lunch if you’re looking for some refreshment after a busy morning! It packed with flavor and nutrition that will leave your body feeling energized for the rest of the day!

4. Eggplant Pizza

Ingredients: 1 whole wheat pita pocket

1/2 cup low-sodium marinara sauce

1 cup Mozzarella cheese (shredded)

1/2 cup eggplant (diced)

1/2 cup tomato (diced)

1/4 cup onion (sliced)

Preparation: Spread thin layer of marinara sauce on whole wheat pita pocket. Top with eggplant, tomato, and onion. Bake in oven for 10 minutes until cheese is melted and edges are browned.

*Recipe from Shape, Photo credits to MyRecipes.com*

Pizza is the go-to food during finals week because its so quick and delicious! It’s a little too delicious, because it tends to leave you feeling too stuffed to even move! This recipe is packed with tasty, nutritious ingredients that will hold you over until dinner time and feed that craving we all get for pizza, but not too much so you can stay on your mid-day grind!

Dinner

5. Broccoli and Garlic Pasta

Ingredients: 1 cup chicken broth

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

2 garlic cloves (minced)

3 cups broccoli florets

4 1/2 cups cooked penne pasta

1 tablespoon lemon juice

Parmesan cheese (for taste)

Black pepper (for taste)

Preparation: In a large skillet, combine broth, basil, pepper, garlic, and broccoli. Bring to a boil and cover. Cook on low for 3 minutes or until broccoli is tender crisp. Add cooked pasta and lemon juice to skillet. Toss to coat and serve with Parmesan cheese.

*Recipe from Food.com, Photo credits to KitchenDaily.com*

This is a great meal to enjoy while relaxing. Broccoli is very high in fiber, which is great for the digestive system and is also packed with essential vitamins that your body will thank you for after an active day.

6. Grilled ham, Muenster, and Spinach Sandwich

Ingredients: 2 slices Italian bread (toasted)

2 ounces ham (thinly sliced)

1 slice Muenster cheese

1/2 cup baby spinach leaves

Cooking spray

Preparation: Layer each bread slice with ham, Muenster cheese, baby spinach leaves, and other bread slice. Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat sandwiches with cooking spray and add to pan. Cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until bread is browned and cheese is melted. 

*Recipe from MyRecipes.com, Photo credits to Oxmoor House*

Who doesn’t love to sit down and enjoy a classic grilled cheese sandwich after a long day? This awesome twist to the famous sandwich will give your taste buds a much needed celebration and leave you satisfied and ready for some beauty sleep!

It’s no secret that bad eating habits will take over our lives in college. I mean, who has the time to count calories and check nutrition facts on top of that 20 page essay and three math assignments due at midnight? With these recipes, you’ll have enough time to get some healthy meals in while finishing up all that work you have piled up. You might even have time to indulge in some of your favorite Netflix shows! Kick those bad habits to the curb, enjoy some great food, and kick butt on those finals!

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.