5 New Artists to Add to Your Playlist Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

If you know me, you know that music is one of my favorite things in the world! I love finding new music and have been to many different music festivals and concerts in the Chicago-land area with friends. Since I usually try to branch out when it comes to music, I tried to mix it up with these new artists! A few of them have been releasing music for some time now, but I think they are being slept on by majority of listeners, which is why they are seen as a best new artist in my eyes.

If you like: Lil Uzi Vert, Travis Scott, J. Cole, you’ll like…

Trippie Redd

Trippie Redd is a nineteen year old rapper and singer from Canton, Ohio. He is an artist who’s had a recent rise to stardom through Soundcloud, which was when I first became a fan. Redd’s music blends Hip Hop, Rock and R&B together. He became most known with his mixtapes before he released his first album Life’s a Trip this past summer. He prides himself on not being a “mumble” rapper and doesn’t consider himself an “emo rapper,” even though most of his music is emotional.

Songs to Listen to:

1. “Love Scars”

2. “Taking a Walk”

3. “Dark Knight Dummo”  

If you like: Chance The Rapper, The Internet, Lana Del Rey, you’ll like…

Noname

Noname is an amazing female rapper and poet from the Southside of Chicago, Illinois. She gained popularity when featured on Chance The Rapper’s mixtape, Acid Rap. I became obsessed with her style after the release of her own mixtape, Telefone. Her style is unique because of the mix of her spoken word and offbeat lyrics. Everyone should give a listen to Noname’s first album, Room 25, which came out last month!

Songs to Listen to:

1. “Diddy Bop”

2. “Reality Check”

3. “Yesterday”

If you like: Lorde, Halsey, Lana Del Rey, you’ll like…

Billie Eilish

Billie Eilish is a sixteen year old pop singer and songwriter from L.A. who quickly gained popularity when she released her song Ocean Eyes on Soundcloud, along with her newest EP, Don’t Smile at Me. I quickly became a fan when I heard how serious her lyrics are despite her angelic voice, very similar to the style of my favorite artist, Lana Del Rey. When in the mood for chill pop, Billie deserves a listen!

Songs to Listen to:

1. “Ocean Eyes”

2. “Party Favor” 

3. “Bellyache”

If you like: Rex Orange County, Mac DeMarco, Cigarettes After Sex, you’ll like…

Cuco

Cuco is a eighteen year old Chicano, alternative singer from L.A, who is becoming known as “LA’s new romantic.” Cuco’s newest album, Songs4u, is a collection of love songs. I could not stop listening to him when I realized some of his songs are only English, only Spanish and some in Spanglish. There is no way I could make this list and not include some form of Spanish artistry because even if you don’t understand the lyrics, everyone should give its beauty a listen!

Songs to Listen to:

1. “Amor de Siempre”

2. “CR-V”

3. “Lo Que Siento”

If you like: Playboi Carti, Yung Bans, Gunna, you’ll like…

Sheck Wes

Sheck Wes is a twenty year old rapper, songwriter and model from New York City, who has become widely known for his viral hit, “Mo Bamba.” Even though Wes has only released four songs, he has already toured with Playboi Carti and is preparing to tour with Travis Scott. You’ll want to keep up with this upcoming rapper and his newest album, Mudboy!

Songs to Listen to:

1. “Live SheckWes Die SheckWes”

2. “Chippi Chippi”

3. “Mo Bamba”

Check out these artists next time you’re looking for new music to add to your playlists!

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

University of Iowa, Delta Gamma Vanessa Chahin is a Sophomore at the University of Iowa from Rockford, Illinois. She is majoring in Psychology, following a Pre-Law track. Vanessa loves to write and is always trying to make more time for this hobby, which is why she loves being a part of Her Campus.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.