4 Ways To Deal With A Bad Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Bad days, *sigh*. We all have them, whether we are expecting something awful or simply not “feeling it.” Perhaps you have a big test, or you just had a fight with your friend and are not looking forward to seeing her in class. Maybe you stayed up really late the night before, so you’re exhausted, or today is your busiest and most stressful day of the week. Whatever the reason may be, bad days are never fun. 

I know that when I’m having a rough day, I ask myself, “When will it be over?” While it is good to remember that every day is a fresh start, it’s also important to power through and make the most of the situation you are in. Here are a couple tips on how to deal with a bad day. 

1. Distract yourself for a bit

Chances are, if you are having a rough day, something specific is bothering you or you are irritated. To get yourself away from thinking about your irritation, take a little break from work and whatever is pushing your buttons (could be people, a tricky math problem, the crappy weather). Even if you can only make time for a 20 or 30 minute break, it will make a difference. Try going for a walk to get some fresh air, listening to music or a podcast or watching a Friends episode.

2. Be kind to others

While it is so easy to take your frustration out on others, you’ll end up just feeling guilty and worse. Instead, do your best to be friendly, but know that it’s okay to avoid extra social interaction if you feel like you would be better off by yourself. By being aware of when you want to be alone, you can avoid getting annoyed with others. That being said, if you really think talking to somebody will help, pick up the phone or reach out to a friend. 

3. Find something good within the day

It can be so freaking hard to find something good on a bad day when everything seems to suck. But look for a small good thing or something to look forward to, allowing you to push through. Perhaps it’s getting to come home to your dog after work, or even just appreciating a solid cup of coffee. By finding something positive, hopefully the bad day won’t seem quite as bad.

4. Don’t let this bad day define you

The worst thing that can happen from a bad day is gaining a negative attitude on the large scheme of things. Instead, remember that each day only lasts 24 hours. While it may be a little cheesy, it’s a good reminder that you can get make it through a bad day in order to get a better tomorrow. 

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.