20 Things I Learned Before I Turned 20

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I recently celebrated my 20th birthday, and as I was reflecting on the last two decades of my life, more specifically my first year living on my own, I realized I’ve learned a lot of valuable lessons along the way. Some of these lessons stuck right away, others took some time to sink in. Nonetheless, here is a list, in no specific order, of 20 things I have learned so far in my 20 years of life. 

1. Comparing yourself to others will get you nowhere.

2. When the teacher says it’s not an assignment you can start the night before, she’s right.

3. Money goes fast. You don’t need to buy brand new black strappy sandals just to go out tonight.

4. Fabric softener and dryer sheets actually make a difference.

5. Altering your perspective from negative to positive can change your life. 

6. Horchata is my all time favorite beverage. (This one is random, but I definitely learned this about myself before turning the big 2-0.)

7. You can never say “I love you” too many times.

8. Having a smaller group of best friends is way better than having a large group of surface level friends.

9. Staying in on a Saturday night every now and then won’t ruin your college experience.

10. Ramen is only good, like, maybe once a month (especially after living off of it the whole first semester of college)

11. Distance really does make the heart grow fonder (never thought living 23 hours away from my mom would be so tough).

12. Having a donut won’t ruin your diet.

13. Having six might.

14. If the boy you’re talking to brings you more stress than joy, cut him off.

15. You can’t help people that don’t want want to be helped.

16. You can’t change people. You can only inspire them to want to change.

17. Washing your face twice a day will benefit your skin so much than you think.

18. Spending time with your friends is important, but so is spending time alone.

19. Your mom has always had your best interest at heart, even when she was “ruining your life.”

20. It’s ok to be proud of yourself.

These 20 lessons have shaped me into the young women I am today, and I can’t wait to see how many more lessons I learn as the years go by.

Hannah is the President of Her Campus Iowa and has been a member of the chapter for the last 3 years. She is a senior from the suburbs of Chicago studying Journalism and Mass Communications and is a huge reality T.V. show fan (she may or may not have secretly bought a Hulu subscription just to binge watch KUWTK...no tea, no shade). After graduating, Hannah's goal is to land a social media position at a beauty and lifestyle company so she can utilize her skills to represent their brand and expand her own knowledge and creativity. 
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.