10 Problems Gym Rats Face During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Everyone that is a crazy gym rat knows that gains are life, and nothing will get in between your sacred gym time and your crazy schedule and eating restrictions that you have created for yourself. Here are 10 problems with being a gym rat during the holiday season:

1.Trying to find a gym that’s open

It’s absolutely crucial to get one last HIIT session or leg day in before eating that big Christmas dinner, and it’s really hard to get that in when gyms are open limited hours or closed during the holidays.

2. All you want for gifts are gym clothes, and more gym clothes

All of Lululemon or Nike or a new pair of tennis shoes.

3. Having to explain to your grandma why you can’t eat her casserole

Even though it looks so delicious, it doesn’t fit in with the gains.

4. Cookies

So. Many. Cookies.

5. Feeling guilty going to the gym everyday when your family is in town

It wouldn’t be such a big deal if going to the gym didn’t take two hours out of your day.

6. Having to answer all of the questions about your healthy lifestyle

Over and over and over again. 

7. Skipping the gym on Christmas day

It’s painful because you know you’re giving up the opportunity of a good workout.

8. Having to get back on track after the holidays

All those cookies you ate really hit you hard. 

9. How crowded the gym is once New Year’s hits

Everyone’s got that New Year’s resolution.

10. You probably gained a few pounds

Even with going to the gym and avoiding the urge to eat 30 cookies. 

Throughout all of the problems, it’s so invigorating being able to stay healthy through out the holiday season! Happy holidays, collegiettes!

Brooke is a junior at the University of Iowa studying Health and Human Physiology, and she is working towards becoming an ACE certifited personal trainer. She also really enjoys writing, and writes on her blog, Brooke Anderson Fitness. When she isn't in class, at the gym or eating food (specifially brunch), she enjoys anything that has to do with makeup, binge watching The Office, and naps. 
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.