Life > Experiences

What I Learnt While Studying Abroad at UConn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As my year abroad at UConn comes to a close, I wanted to take the time to look back on it all. I could sit here and write a super long and mushy article about how studying abroad was the best decision I ever made and share memories about my time here. I have realized that I would prefer to keep that to myself and instead share all the lessons I have learned and what my main take-aways were from the whole experience. Plus, sharing all those memories would probably make me emotional, and I would rather save that for just before I leave…

UConn study abroad collage
Original photo by Amélie Mahony

Say “yes” to everything

No, seriously, do. I have always heard this phrase being used, but I never took it on board ’till now. So many opportunities will be thrown your way, and you should embrace them all. When I think back to the very few regrets I have from my time at UConn, it always comes down to when I said no when I shouldn’t have. However, I learned from that quickly and realized that you can do everything. You may be stressed with assignments and exams, but there is enough time in the day to prepare for those and also have fun. Countless times, I felt tired and wanted to relax, but if I ever got word that people were going on a night out, you can guarantee I was there. Why not? It’s college, the time in your life where you can do all this. Going to class hungover is way better than going to work hungover, after all. 

Embrace school spirit

I love how much college students in the U.S. embrace their school. That is not something I got to experience in Ireland. Now, will you hear me doing the UConn chants or see me doing the husky hand sign in the future? No. However, I will rock the merch I accumulated with pride and continue to follow the university’s happenings, whether it be sports-wise or even Her Campus UConn when I return home. 

Travel, but not all the time

Many people I know went abroad for the main reason that they wanted to travel. I do think that is important but should not be the sole reason. Both semesters, I went on three trips. I visited five different states and did the mandatory spring break trip to Mexico. While traveling to all these new places was fun and left me with lifelong memories, I also embraced the weekends spent at UConn. My friends and I always say that nothing beats a good UConn weekend, and I will always stand by that.

Spring break polaroid pictures
Original photo by Amélie Mahony

Branch out from the international bubble

When you go on exchange, the first people you will meet are fellow international students who are a part of the exchange program. These people are great because they can be from your home country or nearby, and they get what you are going through. They are comforting to be surrounded by and easy to make friends with because they want to do the same. That being said, it is important to meet people who are from the country you are in. If you stay for the whole year as I did, you will see the large turnover of internationals from one semester to the next. My three closest friends the first semester had to go home. I was scared to be without them for the spring. Thankfully, I had a lot of other friends outside the international bubble who were still there that I could lean on when I returned from winter break. 

Get involved

I previously discussed why to branch out of the international students bubble, and this is how. Join lots of clubs at the involvement fair, try them out and see what sticks. For me, that was “Her Campus.” Joining HC was one of the best things I did while at UConn. I got to express my thoughts and opinions through a pretty open platform while also meeting 50+ girls who all enjoy the same things as I do for the most part. With so many clubs and societies at UConn, there is no excuse to finding something you will fit in with. 

Her Campus UConn apple picking bonding event
Original photo by Amélie Mahony

Being homesick is okay

Hell, I even wrote a whole article about this. Both semesters, I went through a short period where I missed home. What I will say is if you are someone who is thinking about studying abroad, but the fear of missing home is holding you back, don’t let it. When you look back at your time away, the happy memories will be the first thing that you think of, not that one time you cried when your mom sent you a picture of your dog and it hits you how much you miss them (yes I am speaking from a real-life experience FYI).

It’s expensive

I wish I could sugar coat this, but that would not be very realistic of me. The amount of money I have spent in the last nine months is disgusting, I can’t lie. You think you know how much it will set you back. Double that. I do not regret any of it though (except maybe ordering a round of shots at Ted’s when I am already severely intoxicated). The long hours I worked the two years before coming to UConn were well worth it. While I cringe at how much money has left my bank account, I can always earn that back. A year abroad, I can’t.

No matter where you go, you will have a good time

Most people I know did not receive their first-choice destination. Luckily for me, I did, but I learned that the university you go to ultimately does not matter, it’s what you make of the opportunity. The people are what makes your time the most memorable, not whether you are in the middle of nowhere in Storrs, Connecticut, or in the heart of a big city.

There are plenty more things I could add to the list, but I’ll keep those to myself. Studying abroad has been exciting, emotional, stressful, and rewarding. It was worth the months of preparation, money, filling out endless amounts of paperwork, and setbacks. If you are reading this and are contemplating whether or not you should go on exchange, I urge you to. You will not regret it, I promise.

Amélie is a Communication and Sociology major at the University of Connecticut. She enjoys reading, writing, music, and all things pop-culture related