Valentine’s Day for the Single Gal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As the gym slowly unpacks, New Year’s resolutions seem like a drunken promise, and we actually begin to look at those syllabi professors flung at us, another holiday creeps into position.  To some it’s a magical day filled with romance, fluffy animals, more “ice” for one’s wrist, and the right to brag about one’s significant other. To the single college girl it’s not this magical land, it’s Valentine’s day, and there are two plausible actions:

1.) Stake out that quart of ice cream, hide under a blanket, and maybe (don’t you dare) take out pictures of your ex/ miserably think about another holiday where you’re single…

Or 2,)   Say, “What’s Valentine’s Day?” and make this day your personal day by doing one of the following activities:

Galentine’s With Your Girls

Yes it’s a thing! Technically, Galentine’s Day is February 13th, but if you have no plans on the 14th, why not grab your bestie, your squad, or even those girls you’re class friends with, and go out!  You can go to a restaurant, movie, have a shopping spree, or whatever looks exciting to you. The best part; whenever you see a couple that’s taking PDA to another level you can all make disgusted faces and bond over how gross they are.

Hooters

I doubt you’ll see many cute(sy) couples here, and if you do who cares because you get to shred a picture of your ex and they’ll reward you. Yes you read correctly, they reward you for saying, “hasta la vista,” to your ex with 10 free boneless wings (with the purchase of 10). If you’re vegetarian, you could always take those free wings to that cute single guy at the table next to you.

Spa Day

Who doesn’t like a relaxing day to pamper oneself? You could go to your closet local spa or take the cheaper route and hold your own DIY spa session (however, it may be hard to give yourself a deep tissue massage). Now, there’s a good chance the spa will be packed, so take out that debit card and go get the following;

·      Nail polish

·      Bath salts or a Lush bath bomb

·      Scented candles

·      A good book/magazine

Once at home, throw those bath bombs in the bathtub, light the candles, and take out that book.  Once you’ve been enchanted by your book and the aromas, move on to to your nails. To wind down the day, get your favorite takeout, put on an action movie, and try some DIY beauty hacks.

If all else fails…

If nothing seems to be working out for you, remember, it’s just another day. If you really need a boost you can think about all those cute boys you’re going to flirt with in class this semester.