Style > Beauty

5 Natural, Simple, and Effective DIY Beauty Hacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

We all love food, duh. But before taking a bite out of that delicious poached egg and avocado toast, have you ever considered adding those ingredients into your beauty regimen? Keep the drug store waiting, and create your own easy concoctions for healthy skin and hair!  

1. Avocado Hair Mask

Constant use of heat styling products can definitely take a toll on those luscious locks. Not to worry, this hair-conditioning mask locks in moisture and leaves your strands feeling silky and smooth. The protein from the egg keeps each follicle strong, and the high fat content from the avocado and olive oil maintains soft, shiny hair.

What You’ll Need:

·      ½ avocado

·      2 egg yolks

·      1 tbsp. olive oil

Mix ingredients thoroughly in a bowl. Apply to wet or dry hair and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. Wash out and cleanse hair as usual. What’s the plus side of this hair mask? No need for conditioner after you shampoo!

2. Caffeinated Sugar Scrub

Ground coffee stimulates the skin, making the skin look brighter and feel tighter. The sugar sloughs away dead skin cells, while the coconut oil adds moisture, and the scent combination is delicious!  As an added bonus, the caffeine from coffee can temporarily reduce the appearance of cellulite after just a few uses.

What You’ll Need:

·      ½ cup white granulated sugar

·      ½ cup ground coffee (used coffee grounds can work too!)

·      1 cup coconut oil

·      Air-tight container or jar

Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl. (Tip: get down and dirty! Use your hands and the warmth will slightly melt the coconut oil, making the mixing process easier.) To use: rub this concoction into your skin for 30-60 seconds, and let it sit for a minute or two. Then wash off in the shower.

3. Aloe Vera Rose Facial Gel

Any who’s felt the wrath of sunburn knows how soothing Aloe Vera feels on your skin. It’s super gentle and hydrating for any skin type. Rose water is a vital beauty product for those with redness, irritation or oily skin. The combination of these two ingredients draws out oil and dirt while leaving your face feeling soft, invigorating your skin.

What You’ll Need:

·      1 tbsp. rose water

·      2 tbsp. pure Aloe Vera gel

Combine these ingredients in a bowl and apply to cleansed skin. Using a circular motion, gently massage the gel into your skin until fully absorbed. There is no need to anything rinse off! (Tip: Using rose water alone makes for a GREAT toner and astringent; Soak a cotton ball with some and apply to skin to block redness and stay oil-free all day.)

4. Yogurt, Honey, and Lemon Face Mask

This mask is perfect for any skin type. Yogurt is super moisturizing, honey acts as a great antibacterial agent to prevent blemishes, and the lemon juice brightens and evens out skin tone. With easy to find ingredients, this face mask can be made quickly and easily, for frequent pampering.

What You’ll Need:

·      1 tbsp. plain yogurt

·      1 tbsp. honey

·      1 tsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice

Mix the ingredients together and apply onto your face (avoiding the eye area). Leave on for 15-20 minutes, and wash off with lukewarm water. Repeat once a week for some awesome results. (Tip: play around with the quantity of ingredients and see what best fits your skin type. For dry skin, use low-fat yogurt; for oily skin, opt for fat-free.)

5. Peppermint and Sugar Lip Exfoliator

Using sugar as a lip scrub is super popular because it effectively scrapes away any dead skin, leaving your lips supple. The menthol in peppermint acts as a natural lip plumper, so using this scrub before applying your favorite lipstick can make them look fuller and even more kissable!

What You’ll Need:

·      3 tbsp. coarse sugar (Like this one)

·      1 tbsp. honey

·      1 tsp. peppermint extract (if you’re using essential oil, use 5 drops)

Mix the sugar and honey together in a small bowl until combined. Add the peppermint and stir. Apply onto lips and rub in a circular motion for 30-60 seconds. Wipe off with a damp paper towel.

~

Remember, one time use won’t always guarantee the results you want. Try these recipes out on your skin a few times or even regularly to reveal your glowing and radiant complexion!