UConn Basketball Game
UConn Basketball Game
Original photo by Mairead Gillespie

UConn Huskies Advance To The NCAA National Championship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

2023 is a great year to be a part of UConn Nation. The men’s basketball team crushed the University of Miami Hurricanes in Saturday’s March Madness Final Four game, advancing to the national championship. The men have been to four national championship games, and have won all of them (1999, 2004, 2011, and 2014). UConn fans are ecstatic and confident heading in to this game versus the San Diego State Aztecs on April 3rd. From the students here in Storrs at the Basketball Capital of the World, to the players out in Houston, Texas, UConn school spirit is fierce and unstoppable.

UConn in the Final Four

Let’s talk about the Final Four matchup of UConn and UMiami on April 1st. With a final score of 72-59, UConn is still dancing. During this 13-point game, there was no lack of excitement, with many impressive moments from our team — Alex Karaban’s incredible buzzer-beater 3-pointer just at the halftime mark; Donovan Clingan’s thrilling shot-blocks; Adama Sanogo with 21 points on 11 shots (scoring himself Player of the Game), and much more. In fact, Sanogo is actually fasting as he observes Ramadan, making his performance even more impressive. Just as they’ve done throughout the entire March Madness bracket, the Huskies dominated the court and played together methodically.

What’s to Come: National Championship

Only 0.04% of those who made March Madness brackets predicted that the national championship would come between the UConn Huskies and the San Diego Aztecs. Should the UConn Huskies win, it will be their 5th title in 25 years — something only Duke and UCLA have managed to pull off. UConn Nation’s hopes in the Huskies are high, and we are ready to support them. Dan Hurley, UConn Men’s Basketball head coach stated: “There’s nowhere where we’re weak as a team, and we’re deep. So we’re able to kind of body blow our opponent and continue to just put together quality possessions at both ends.” UConn Huskies are 7-point favorites in their matchup against the Aztecs, with an over/under for total points scored of 133 (CBS Sports). The odds are in the Huskies favor, and UConn Nation is ecstatic to watch, whether it be court-side, on TV, or here on campus.

School Spirit

The excitement pre-national championship game is evident, and will only grow should UConn bring back a win. After the 2014 win, UConn Nation celebrated (and some rioted) in the streets. UConn students have even already emailed professors asking to cancel classes the next day, preparing to go out and celebrate their win. What makes this national championship even more exciting, is that no one expected it. Despite that, the Huskies have been steamrolling through March Madness. It is an incredibly thrilling time to be a Husky, and the energy on campus is at all time high. Best of luck to our Huskies! #rollskies

Cawley DiStephan has been a writer at the Her Campus at UConn chapter since 2022. She writes about a variety of topics including culture, relationships, life at college, entertainment, and more. She is most proud of her article “Women At UConn On The Student Recreation Center.” Cawley is a political science major on the pre-law track. She hopes to be a lawyer one day and is still exploring her options in what specific field. Outside of her writing for Her Campus, she enjoys writing political analysis for her classes. Her love for writing extends to her job at the UConn Writing Center, where she works with peers on their own writing assignments. She is also involved in several project-based initiatives at the center. In Cawley’s free time, she listens to a lot of music. Her favorite artists are Frank Ocean and SZA. She also enjoys watching films and TV shows, some of her favorites include BEEF, Poor Things, Beau is Afraid, Game of Thrones, and Everything, Everywhere, All at Once. One of her favorite activities is thrifting, and loves to drink a matcha latte or a dirty chai while she does so. Cawley loves to enjoy all of these hobbies with her friends, family, and boyfriend.