UConn hosts annual Slut Walk: A March to End Victim Blaming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Rape culture is all around us, whether you notice it or not. At the University of Connecticut, Revolution Against Rape (RAR) has made it their mission to promote awareness about rape and create a safe space for student that have a connection to sexual assault.

Their annual Slutwalk: A March to End Victim Blaming took place this past Friday, September 18. The powerful group of Slutwalk marchers could be heard around the center of campus screaming various chants like: “Shatter the silence, stop the violence” and “what we do, how we dress, these do not equal a yes”.

Although such protest about rape can make people uncomfortable, it’s something our population has to bring to light.

“A rapist has to worry more about getting hit by a bus than being charged with their rape,” said Casey Healy, the RAR president, who spoke after the march.

Healy then proceeded to promote consent education, especially at the high school level, and explains that she received no formal introduction before college.

“I had been taught that it’s just a women’s job to say ‘no’ and avoid any sexual contact,” Healy explains.

The Slutwalk organizers believe that not only is it important to teach all genders that they have equal responsibility when it comes to sexual activities with their partners, but also  to advocate that no one should feel ashamed for their actions. Slut-shaming has become common in society, especially at universities, and its negative implications need to be addressed.

“Everyone has the right to do what ever they want with their own body. People need to be accepting of other people’s decisions,” Lauren Colburn, RAR Treasurer, said regarding the trend.

RAR, the empowering  marchers and everyone else who attended the event are prime examples of people who are willing to speak up about a prevalent issue in our society.  The voices and stories of victims should not be invalidated due to their clothing or state of mind. Whether it’s a sweater or a miniskirt, no one asks to be raped.

Sarah is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UConn. She is a Communication and Journalism major at the University of Connecticut newly suffering from the travel bug after a summer in Spain and an obsession with all things UConn Husky Basketball.