hallmark christmas movies?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
hallmark christmas movies?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
The Hallmark Channel

The Zodiac Signs As Hallmark Christmas Movie Tropes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Hallmark Christmas movies may not be known for their originality, but they’re certainly beloved. Hallmark movies are famous for their repeated use of certain movie tropes— thematic storytelling devices used commonly enough to be recognized.

Astrology ascribes certain personality traits to each zodiac sign based on birth date. Fiery Aries and pensive Cancer signs view holiday movies through different lenses. Here’s what beloved Hallmark trope you may be based on your zodiac sign.

👯‍♀️ Related: Happily Ever After: A Case For Hallmark Christmas Movies

Aries – Defending Christmas From Corporate Threat

Aries (March 21-April 19)

In this common Hallmark movie trope, the local (read: charming small-town) Christmas is threatened in some way by a corporation’s greed.

Aries, symbolized by the ram, is the first of the twelve zodiac signs. Aries are passionate about what they care about, and generous with their help when people they love are in need. Typically assertive and direct, Aries would be the one to call when the town Christmas needed defending.

Taurus – The Real Present is Family

Taurus (April 20-May 20)

Tauruses revel in earthly comforts. Symbolized by the bull, these down-to-earth, reliable people can be found savoring their favorite meals or spending quality time with the people that they love.

Oftentimes in Hallmark movies, there’s an unexpected event that intercepts the gift-giving tradition of the Holidays. Though Tauruses would certainly not revel in a gift-less Christmas, these loyal people would be the ones to declare that all is not lost while reminding us of the real reason for the season: our loved ones. Thanks, Taurus!

Gemini – Pretend Couple Falls In Real Love

Gemini (May 21-June 20)

Symbolized by a set of twins, Geminis are quick-witted and social. These air signs love to chat and are always in on a playful joke.

A classic Hallmark movie trope is written when a couple that (for various reasons, usually revenge) originally started out faking it (gasp!) starts to develop some real feelings for their fake partner. Gemini could find themselves needing a fake date to an ex’s Holiday party, but, ever the social butterfly, would find themselves falling for their fake date.

Cancer – Snowed-In On Christmas

Cancer (June 21-July 22

There’s a huge blizzard in Hallmark-land and everyone’s Christmas plans are ruined! Five strangers trapped in a quaint inn find themselves stuck on Christmas day with only a roaring fireplace and endless changes of festive sweaters to warm themselves with.

Cancers are symbolized by a crab, appropriate to their tough-on-the-outside and softy-on-the-inside temperament. The “Mother” of the Zodiac, Cancer is always ready and willing to nurture those around them. Sensitive and compassionate, Cancers would be the ones to make sure this snowed-in Christmas still felt magical.

Leo – Secret Royalty

Leo (July 23-August 22)

Fire-sign Leo has a flair for the dramatic. Symbolized by a lion, Leo’s are prideful, fiercely loyal people with an eye for luxury.

Undercover royalty is a common Hallmark movie trope. Usually, the protagonist meets and falls for a potential partner while unbeknownst to them, their lover is royalty! Leo loves a generous partner. That’s why they may not even notice a regal air (read: heir) right under their nose!

We watch with a smile, as we knew it all along.

Virgo – Disastrous Local Christmas Needs Saving

Virgo (August 23-September 22)

The annual Christmas tree lighting has been ruined by an unsuccessful Christmas tree delivery. The townspeople are beside themselves and the holiday as we know it is ruined! How will they recover?

Enter: Virgo. Practical, industrious and systematic in their approach, a Virgo is the one to call when you need something done right. Symbolized by the Maiden, Virgo invented perfectionism. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! If it is, call a Virgo.

Libra – Christmas Meet-Cute

Libra (September 23-October 22)

Charming and diplomatic, these lovers of all things beautiful seem to ooze romance. Symbolized by the scales, Libras are ruled by the planet of Venus, and never have to look too far for love.

We can all set the scene in our heads. Two people meet for the first time in some silly or dramatic way and thus begin a tale of whirlwind romance. Your Libra friend would be the one to bump into a stranger at a coffee shop, spill some coffee on a woolen Christmas sweater, and start a romance for the ages. We love that for her.

Scorpio – Enemies To Lovers

Scorpio (October 23-November 21)

Symbolized by (fittingly) a scorpion, Scorpios are secretive and loyal. Scorpios have a tough shell to crack, but once you earn their trust, they’ll love you deeply.

A favorite trope in movies and books alone, enemies to lovers details two people that start off strongly disliking each other, but through fate and circumstance, end up in love. This is possibly the most common Hallmark movie trope out there, and the coziness of a Christmas scene makes this trope impossible to resist.

Scorpio is inherently suspicious, and could find themselves doubting and even disliking a potential love interest. That said, Scorpio is the most devoted lover of the zodiac, so their love lends itself perfectly to the enemies-to-lovers arc.

Sagittarius – Whirlwind Life Event Leads To Love

Sagittarius (November 22-December 21)

Sagittarius people bring adventure and spontaneity to the world. This fire sign is symbolized by an archer, and much like an arrow is always flying through the world in search of new terrain.

Sagittarius longs for adventure and self-transformation, and naturally would be the ones to find themselves on a whirlwind Hallmark Christmas adventure. Picture it: it’s Christmas time and a call comes in from an estranged family member detailing a family fortune hidden in a small, Christmassy town.

Sagittarius, receiving this call, boards a plane and begins a new adventure.

Capricorn – The Family Business Needs Saving

Capricorn (December 22-January 19)

Behold our industrious and strong-willed Capricorn. These winter babies are symbolized by a goat and are often practical, mature, and even-tempered.

Oftentimes in our favorite sappy Christmastime movies, the protagonist finds themselves home for the holidays, facing a crumbling (often Christmas-related) family business. Ever ambitious, our determined and strong Capricorn would be the one to step in and revive the family business.

Aquarius – Related To Santa

Aquarius (January 20-February 18)

Like our other air signs, those born an Aquarius refuse to be “held down.” These people are often nonconformists who always seem to be on top of the latest fashion trend. Find them in a feather boa and the coolest sunglasses you’ve ever seen.

Naturally, these cool cats would be the ones to discover that a-la-Hallmark Movie, they’re related to Santa Claus himself! Just one more cool thing to add to their eccentric charm.

Pisces – Real Christmas Magic

Pisces (February 19-March 20)

Pisces, a water sign and the last of the zodiac is symbolized by two fish swimming in opposite directions, said to represent the (slim) division they possess between fantasy and reality. Pisces is a sensitive and empathetic creature- and is known to be the “most psychic” of the zodiac.

Your Pisces friend would have no trouble fulfilling a Hallmark movie trope that brings real Christmas magic to their town. Ethereal and detached, Pisces easily taps into the magic of Christmas.

Happy Hallmark to all twelve of our main characters!

Iris Maloney

U Conn '23

Iris is a senior at the University of Connecticut studying Political Science. She loves coffee, heart-to-hearts, and staying up late.