Happily Ever After: A Case For Hallmark Christmas Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Every year around November, commercials start appearing for those familiar, cheesy, Hallmark holiday movies. If you haven’t seen them before and are thinking of the greeting card company, yes, it’s the same one. These movies can have a bad reputation, but I’m here to convince you that they are worth the watch.

They’re Predictable

Predictability is an important quality in a Christmas movie. Thinking about classics like Elf, It’s a Wonderful Life, and A Charlie Brown Christmas, it is so nice to go back to a familiar story and revisit those characters when the holiday season rolls around. It’s a similar experience each time you watch a Hallmark Christmas movie. The familiar plots that you may have read about in books or seen in other movies are a consistent way to relax during the holiday season.

The Christmas Spirit Shines

Due to the incredibly predictable nature of each movie, the part that really sticks out in each is the spirit of Christmas. There is almost always a fun holiday event happening in one of the main character’s hometowns, and decor is abundant, with lights and garland galore. The biggest concern seems to be for a happy holiday.

They are Full of Joy

As previously mentioned, the greatest concern in these movies is often having a great holiday. If there is another conflict, it usually lasts for 15 to 20 minutes, maximum. In a world that is often frightening and overwhelming, these movies provide an escape. It is an hour-and-a-half break from everything else.

Little Lessons

The holidays are a great time for reflection, and, as cheesy as these movies can be, they often contain little life lessons. The importance of staying true to yourself, not forgetting your roots, and how to adapt to changes when life tosses them at you. Life lessons aren’t always the easiest, but when they are wrapped in a holiday rom-com, they are much easier to receive.

I don’t mean to say that Hallmark movies should be the only ones you watch this holiday season. However, I hope you’ll consider adding a few to your holiday movie rotation. If you’re anything like me, they’ll bring you a lot of holiday cheer, or at least give you a good laugh.

Happy Holidays!

Bella is a sophomore at the University of Connecticut double-majoring in English and Secondary English Education. She is a Public Relations and Events Chair for Her Campus UConn, where she spends time planning events to foster a strong sense of community among the chapter. Bella enjoys writing articles about books she reads, and providing advice for incoming students. In her spare time, you’ll find Bella browsing a bookstore with a coffee in-hand, baking her latest favorite recipe, embroidering some flowers, or listening to her current Spotify playlist on repeat.