Culture > Digital

The Surprising Connection Between Transcendentalism And Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Social media and technology have contributed to the rise of many beautiful things, such as connectivity to distant relatives, creativity, self-expression, and a sense of belonging.

Most teenagers and young adults are aware of the nastier side of social media, however: unrealistic expectations, constantly evolving fast-fashion trends, commenters analyzing everything in a picture or video, the development of new insecurities, toxic comparisons, wasted time spent scrolling, and more.

Many of these issues relate to the concepts of nineteenth-century Transcendentalists such as Henry David Thoreau, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Margaret Fuller. Looking back on the quotes of these authors can help us create a healthier relationship with social media and technology. Because let’s face it, being told “just stop using it” isn’t exactly practical anymore.

But First: What is TRanscendentalism?

Transcendentalism began in New England as a religious response to old ideas. It evolved to mark a cohesive, organized literary movement concerned with respect for nature, materialism, feeling, and intuition.

The Transcendentalists went against societal pressures, with Emerson declaring that the person who thinks for themselves despite society’s opinions lives the greatest.

A notable Transcendentalist topic includes self-reliance: listening to your intuition, forming your own opinions, and rejecting conformity. This might sound complicated, but it relates directly to social media. We let social media tell us what to wear, how to part our hair, and spend hours editing pictures to fit certain aesthetics. In many ways, social media discourages us from being ourselves.

It is significant that the ideas expressed by these authors (who could have never anticipated modern technology) over one hundred fifty years ago stood the test of time and still connect to modern issues.

Below is a list of tips to help create a healthier relationship with technology and social media… and inspiration from the Transcendentalists themselves.

#1 Prioritize certain apps

Trying to keep up with Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Snapchat, Facebook, VSCO, etc. feels exhausting. Keep the apps you have a positive mental relationship with and enjoy the most. The rest, you can live without.

“You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment.”

-Thoreau

#2 Take a break

It is perfectly normal to delete an app for a few hours, days, or weeks if you need a mental break. 

Our generation experiences intense fear of missing out when scrolling through social media. This relationship is toxic, and it increases dependency on social media. 

In reality, you will miss out on most of the things that occur in the world. Instead of stressing about it, try to live more in the present and the world around you

“Nothing is it last sacred but the integrity of your own mind.”

-Emerson

#3 Unfollow toxic influencers

We’ve all seen them — the influencers with “perfect” lives. They don’t appear to have any job besides social media, they aren’t in school, and every moment of their lives is staged, documented, and filtered to perfection. There’s no substance to their content, but millions of people follow them.

As a society, we like looking up to celebrities and influencers. But why do we allow these “perfect” accounts to thrive? The image they portray is entirely unachievable (because it’s not real), and it’s not healthy.

It’s time to cut down on the accounts we subscribe our time to. Prioritize users who share meaningful content, behind-the-scenes images, unedited photos, and the realities of their everyday life.

“Beware of over-great pleasure in being popular or even beloved… it is poison.”

-Fuller

#4 Limit screen time

It’s almost too easy to fall into a rabbit hole of social media, online shopping, streaming movies/TV, gaming, etc. An entire day can pass on your phone, TV, and laptop, and too much screen time is not healthy for your mind or body.

Set aside time to be present with friends and family, try new hobbies, journal, exercise, and go outside. You’d be surprised with what you can learn about yourself.

“Be yourself; no base imitator of another, but your best self. There is something which you can do better than another.”

-Emerson

#5 Manage notifications

Almost every time a person checks their phone, they are bombarded by a flurry of notifications.

Some, like texts or missed calls, are more important. But do we need to know every time a person likes our picture on Instagram? Or that someone updated their Facebook?

Frivolous updates prove to be extremely distracting and suck us back into our screens. Turning off certain notifications in your device’s settings can help limit distractions.

“Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.”

-Emerson

Conclusion

You are more than the number of likes you receive. And your real-life means so much more than the filtered pictures you scroll through online.

Yes, social media is a reality of our generation. No, it’s not realistic to completely cut off all technological communication. But, if enough people self-reflect and stay true to themselves, the world of social media might become a much better place.

Chloé Hummel is the President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UConn. Chloé enjoys writing articles that help advance the goals of intersectional feminism. She also works as a marketing assistant for Globe Pequot Press in Essex, CT. In her spare time, Chloé enjoys yoga, pilates, and reading fantasy books. She is a passionate vegan, a 70s music enthusiast, and a poor piano player.