This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Yes, it is cold outside. We are all aware of that, but are you really going to use the temperature this winter as another excuse to let your health and fitness suffer? There is no need to hibernate. Here are some safe and healthy tips on to brave the outside through the next few frosty months.

1.     Layer up. And by this I mean, gloves, hat, leggings/sweat pants, under armor/sweat shirt, socks etc. This may seem like a given, but there are many people who think that they will just warm up eventually and not need the layers. Or then there are those other people who fear that the extra layers will slow them down by acting as extra weight. While this could be true to a certain extent, you need the insulation more than those last few seconds. Also, many sporting stores carry thin synthetic clothing that will keep you warm as well as add on less weight to your body. When preparing to go outside to exercise in the winter think ‘more is better’ – you can always take off layers but you can’t add them.

2.     Try something new. Are you typically one to stay in shape through running? Head out to the slopes and take a snowboard or ski lesson. Lace up your old skates and venture off to an ice rink or frozen pond Ever questioned those people with the tennis rackets at the bottom of their shoes? Uh, I mean snowshoes… snowshoeing for 35 minutes can burn up to 300 calories so if you quit laughing at the tennis racket people and join them! Plus trying out new exercises and sports will work different muscles. You will realize where those muscles are once you feel the burn.

3.     Be a kid again. Feeling too old to be making snowmen, having a snowball fight or going sled riding? Think again. Imagine walking up and down a steep hill for at least twenty minutes. That is a workout in itself, now add the obstacle of thick snow and (with a little excitement) running up the hill.

4.     Take part in “winter activities” like chopping wood for your fire or helping your Dad out with shoveling the front walkway. Besides just working out your arms, it will help raise your heart rate and act as some tough cardio.

5.     Of course there is always a gym membership to turn to. And for when you do head out running, skating or whichever you choose: be careful of icy patches, thin ice or anything else that mother nature could use to ruin your day.

Webpage citing: http://www.fitsugar.com/Calori…

Caitlin is a Communication major with minors in Sociology and Women's Studies at the University of Connecticut. She has always loved to write, but she caught the advertising bug at UConn and now dreams of creating ads that people will always remember. When she's not studying mass media or reading advertising blogs, Caitlin loves making collages, riding horses, and surprising people!