Some New Year’s Resolutions That Aren’t Weight Loss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

And just like that: it’s almost time to say goodbye to 2022. Along with a devotion to Taylor Swift and athleisure, Generation Z’s preoccupation with wellness and disdain for diet culture is set to carry on into the New Year.

Here are some New Year’s resolutions to carry with you as our society (fingers crossed) moves away from fad dieting and towards holistic health.

Make Time FOr Connection

The research is clear: friendship improves our health and makes our lives better. Nurturing healthy friendships can improve our self-confidence, encourage healthy habits, and strengthen our sense of belonging.

This New Year, honor a weekly coffee date with a friend, or make an effort to connect with new like-minded people. We all get by with a little help from our friends!

Commit To Adventure

I am a major proponent of meticulous planning and careful execution. I have also found that allowing space for just a taste of the unknown can bring a lot of joy to your life. We spend so much time organizing and planning our life that we may miss opportunities that are right in front of us.

Start small! Eat at a local restaurant you’re unfamiliar with, wear a huge faux fur coat, try a lip color that’s more than just a little out there. Go big! Overhaul your wardrobe. Get that very French haircut. See a new city. The opportunities are endless, and the world is there to be explored.

Mind Your Social Media Usage

Social media is a hot-button topic for its effects on mental health, especially on developing brains. The dreaded Fear Of Missing Out (FOMO) can lure us onto social media and keep us from unfollowing accounts we know make us feel bad.

A single person may see four to six thousand ads a day. One hour on TikTok means hundreds of videos— often also ads! Do I even have to mention Twitter? No, probably not.

Pay attention to how much social media you consume. When is it hardest for you to put down your phone? How do you feel after you scroll all the way down your Instagram feed? A little bit of mindfulness when using social media can go a long way.

Enjoy The Little Things

Do you notice which plants grow on your walk to work? When you grab your morning coffee, do you greet your barista before ordering? When you’re going about your day, how often are you completely focused on your immediate surroundings?

When you savor the moment, little things become big sources of joy. Lunch is no longer just lunch. It’s a perfect bowl of your favorite soup at a coffee shop you just love.

There is so much joy to be found in the mundane aspects of life. Happiness is a complicated thing to chase, but appreciating the little details about the world around you can completely shift your perspective.

Show Up For Yourself

Sometimes, much of our day is spent either on autopilot, not noticing the world around us, or doing things in service of others. This might mean that by the time we need to take care of ourselves, our well has already run dry. Our to-do list is done and our friends are happy, but how do we feel?

Show up for yourself this year. Work hard, and know when to rest. Leave relationships that make you feel small. Cherish those that nurture you. Eat your veggies and save room for dessert. Be your own best friend first and the rest will follow.

Happy 2023! Here’s to life!

Iris Maloney

U Conn '23

Iris is a senior at the University of Connecticut studying Political Science. She loves coffee, heart-to-hearts, and staying up late.