This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

If your TikTok was anything like mine a few months ago then you probably saw influencers raving about the latest skincare phenomenon known as skin cycling. Going beyond this trend, social media is saturated with “get ready with me”s and “get unready with me”s, so starting your own multi-step skincare routine with various serums, creams, and potions seems incredibly daunting. That being said, I was struggling with mild, yet persistent acne and scarring, and I finally decided to jump into the world of influencers and solve my skin problems myself after years of working with a dermatologist.

Luckily for me, I started this journey while living in the skincare hub of Europe, where the beauty standard is clear skin, and a no-makeup effect. My roommate, an advocate of this routine, took me to a Parisian pharmacy that put CVS to shame. There were walls and walls of various skin-related products, makeup, and hair care, and the attendants were so helpful, like a fleet of dermatologists ready to assist you. Unfortunately, that is not the experience in the States when shopping at a pharmacy, so here is everything I bought, and how to establish this routine.

Skin cycling is a night-time skin care routine that emphasizes moisture, and recovery that spans over four days.  

I spent about $50 during this shopping spree on new products that I prayed would clear my skin and boost my confidence. However, I already had some products that fit in this regime, so expect to spend between $40-$80 upfront depending on what you are missing. These products last a long time, and maintenance purchases will be between $15-$30. It is a small investment that I find worth it because over time you spend less on makeup and acne treatments. So, what the heck is skin cycling? Let’s get into it…

Skin cycling is a night-time skincare routine that emphasizes moisture, and recovery that spans over four days. 

Disclaimer: this advice is based on my personal experience; please consult a doctor for medical advice.

day 1: chemical exfoliant

Emphasis on the chemical component because physical exfoliants will cause micro-tears and hurt your skin, especially with prolonged use. You should look for AHA and BHA in your chemical exfoliant because these are the acids that will get rid of all the dead skin on your face. Personally, I use the Ordinary AHA 30 BHA 2 peeling solution, which might scare your roommates with its vibrant red hue. I absolutely love and recommend this product, it is inexpensive and lasts a really long time. My skin always feels brighter and renewed after using this. Be warned the first couple of times using it can be uncomfortable, but your skin adjusts with continued use.

How to use: cleanse normally, dry face, apply mask for 6-8 minutes, wash with lukewarm water, moisturize 

Day 2: retinoid

This will probably be the most expensive product you purchase if you decide to skin cycle, but it is such an important step. Retinol helps heal the texture of your skin, acne scars, pigment, while moisturizing. It is used as an anti-aging solution, so it will probably be in the section of products for wrinkles and skin tightening, but it is amazing in so many other ways. It is important to apply SPF in the mornings when using this product because it can make you sensitive to the sun, so if you are not already using SPF in the mornings you need to get on that train. There are a lot of options with this product, and many offer additional vitamins in their solution. I personally use the La Roche Posay Retinol B3 serum, which is linked below through amazon, but you might be able to find it for less through other retailers.

How to use: cleanse normally, apply serum on your face and neck; if you need extra moisture (like I do) apply moisturizer after the serum has soaked into your skin   

day 3 & 4: recovery

Now that you’ve pushed your skin with chemicals it is time to let your skin do the work and recover. This means emphasizing moisture. This is a time to add in any other products that may help with healing your skin like vitamin-filled creams, or anything that does not have intense chemicals like the other two days. The moisturizer I use every night is BioDerma’s Atoderm cream

What is so great about this routine is that you can make it as complicated or simple as you want, so long as you maintain these four basic days. You could have just four products— chemical exfoliant, retinol serum, cleanser, moisturizer— or throw in add-ins like spot treatments, acne creams, hydrating and brightening serums, or whatever you think your skin needs to solve your problem areas. This is a template that works on most skin types, and won’t break the bank, unlike so many skin and wellness products on the market. Gwyneth Paltrow is quaking

I am writing this article after about two months of following this routine and I have seen noticeable improvements in my skin. I break out a lot less, my scarring has reduced dramatically, and my skin feels hydrated and bright. I started this journey so I could stop using intense acne products and medications that seemed to just keep me in a constant cycle of breaking out, scarring, and drying. Now, I use a natural spot treatment rather than adapalene, CeraVe hydrating cleanser instead of PanOxyl, and focus more on hydration rather than drying out my face in hopes of ridding myself of my acne. Now, this might not work for everyone, but gatekeeping is out in 2023, so if you are ready to try something new in your skincare and wellness journey give skin cycling a try because it is most definitely worth the hype.

Audrey is a sophomore marketing major and french minor at the university of Connecticut