A Single Girl’s Guide to Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Calling all my flawless, fabulous, single ladies: It is that dreaded time of the year again. You know what I am talking about. You’ve seen shelf upon shelf, stocked with red and pink hearts. You’ve seen girls start tagging their boyfriends in pictures of romantic date ideas. Eye rolling and groans abound, half out of jealousy and half out of disgust. Valentine’s Day is here, and now you have to suffer through another day where couples are being all lovey-dovey while you’re sitting with your cat as you watch re-runs of Friends. But fear not my brave women, because this year is your year to take back Valentine’s Day.

1. Have a Galentine’s Day

The best remedy for loneliness is the company of your besties.

2. Avoid Romantic Movies & Rom-Coms

Do not get sucked into the vortex of sappy rom-coms, because once you get through one tear-filled Leo/ Kate collab, there is no turning back.

3. Embrace the Rom-Coms

However, if you are going to succumb to the vortex, go big or go home. Break out all those Nicholas Sparks’ movies, grab some ice cream and popcorn, and enjoy!

4. Let Yourself Feel Sad…But Only for a While

If you are in one of those moods where you want to embrace your sadness and have a good cry, limit yourself. You can be upset, but limit it to ten minutes and then wipe those tears away. You are too awesome to let a lack of a significant other get you down.

5. Treat Yo’ Self

Go shopping, get a cute outfit, and rock it!

6. Share Your Fabulousness with the World

Rock that new outfit on a night out. Show off how good you look, and that you do not need an S.O. to make you happy. 

7. Have a Cheat Day

You do not need to impress anyone, so say yes to that burger and fries.

8. Work Out

If you’re not craving a greasy meal, get in a good workout instead.

9. Do Something Crazy

Get a tattoo. Go skydiving. Be spontaneous.

10. Keep Grinding

Study for your next exam, finish that essay. Today is just another day to work towards your future career. 

Good luck collegiettes, you got this.  

Cover Image Source