matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Opinion: It’s Time the Media Focused on Our Female Presidential Candidates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

There is an unprecedented number of presidential candidates leading up to the big 2020 election, especially within the Democratic party. It can be overwhelming to try and distinguish between the very similar values and messages that many of the Democrats who are running share. Trying to pick your favorite frontrunner, at this point, may seem near impossible. 

However, the media has been paying quite a bit of attention to Beto O’Rourke, the famous member of the House of Representatives who just narrowly lost the election of Texas Senator to Ted Cruz, and Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, who’s already becoming a household name in such a short amount of time. While both of these men seem like upstanding and highly respectable candidates, one has to ask: what are they doing that is making them so popular? O’Rourke has reminded many of a young Barack Obama; charismatic, charming, and an inspirational speaker. Pete Buttigieg, an openly proud, gay man, certainly shows our country’s hopeful potential to become more diverse in terms of our leaders. But while these men, who are certainly more than capable and qualified to land the job so many are vying for, hog the spotlight, many of the women who are running for president are left in the shadows.

Kamala Harris, Tulsi Gabbard, Kristen Gillibrand, Amy Klobuchar… you’ve heard these names. But Elizabeth Warren, who is perhaps the most experienced female candidate running, has been all but lost in the crowd.

The former Harvard professor, and current Senator from Massachussets, has certainly made a name for herself throughout her career in politics. Many have noted that she has done some of the most extensive preparations for a presidential run; she has traveled to countless major U.S. cities during her campaign so far and takes a hand on, face to face approach with her supporters and fellow American citizens, making her a favorite among grass-roots liberals.

Warren has strong stances on some very important issues plaguing our country at the moment; she firmly believes in closing the wealth gap that divides our citizens, finding more sustainable sources of energy so we can try and stop the growing havoc on our climate, and is eager to try and move America away from its capitalist roots that don’t benefit all of society. Warren has a clear understanding of how the government works; she believes in policy, in action, in getting things done. This, however, is probably what makes her, and her fellow female candidates, less inclined to the spotlight.

No one really likes hard work; they like the idea of it. No one wants to see someone going door to door, talking to real people about real issues. The media likes a superhero. A rockstar. Someone who shines in the limelight.

Perhaps this is why Buttigieg and O’Rourke are doing so well, despite O’Rourke’s vague political positions and his desire to ask his voters “to shape him into the presidential candidate they want him to be” without really offering any new and original ideas for a better America. Many politically involved citizens have been vocal about this phenomenon on social media. The following are a few tweets encompassing some of the thoughts regarding the Democratic candidates: 

You know the quote from Charlotte Whitton: “Whatever women do, they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good.” This sure seems to ring true during the candidates campaigns thus far. Luckily, it seems like many of the women, Harris and Warren in particular, have a pretty strong following, and a fair shot at snagging the Democratic bid.

But one certainly has to wonder if their chances would be even better if the media focused a little less on who is necessarily the most charming, and rather who is getting the most work done. 

Sade is currently a senior at UConn, and is enrolled as a Human Development and Family Studies major. Sade enjoys binge-watching youtube videos, doing her makeup, and people who get her name right the first time meeting her (shah-day). Sade hopes to go into early education, preferably into teaching at a head start or birth-to-three center.