This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Relationships aren’t easy, and adding a pandemic on top of it doesn’t make it much better. COVID-19 has impacted every aspect of our lives; it has changed the way we go about our daily routines, shifted our mindsets, and introduced us to a new normal. 

It’s no secret that relationships have been put to the test during this time. I mean, who can we blame? The heightened anxieties and stress of regular life can surely impact one’s relationships with others, but it’s important to realize this and move forward with that in mind. In November, I’ll hit the two-year mark with my boyfriend, who I’ve been with since the first week of freshman year (I’m now a junior). Back in March, we left for spring break thinking that we would see each other again in a short two weeks, but boy were we delusional. Between March and September, I saw him for a total of 10 days. Yes, you read that right – 10 days!! We’re a young couple trying to do everything right, and now we have to learn to navigate our relationship in the midst of a pandemic. Through this time, I’ve learned a thing or two that can make relationships during COVID-19 a bit easier: 

1. Communicate 

I know, I know… right now you may be thinking, “Really? This is what this girl is going to give me?”, but before you click off, just hear me out. Communication during normal times is important: you have to be honest with your partner and talk things through, but communication during a pandemic is necessary. Right now, our environments are constantly changing, which can often affect our mental health, which in turn, can come out in a relationship. It’s important that you express to your partner when you’re feeling down or anxious so that they’re aware of the current mental state you are in. Instead of shutting them out, or thinking to yourself that your anxieties aren’t relevant, confide in your partner. Who knows, they may be feeling the same way. 

2. Take care of yourself 

Continuing on the mental health train, it’s necessary that you take care of yourself. It can be difficult to succeed in a relationship when one doesn’t look after themselves individually. And no, I don’t mean getting a haircut or going to get a manicure. If the pandemic is impacting your mental health to a degree where you will benefit from talking to someone, please do so. Therapy and seeking counseling is nothing to be ashamed about and is one of the many tools that can help us navigate our emotions. After the first few weeks of school, I was so overwhelmed that I decided to speak to a therapist for two sessions. Meeting with her gave me a new perspective and introduced me to tools that could help me, specifically an app called Sanvello. 

3. Stay informed 

One regular evening, I was scrolling through Instagram (what’s new?) and I came across a post that explained various ways anxiety can show up in a relationship. As I was scrolling, almost every single one I could apply to my own life. I knew I had underlying anxiety, but I never knew that it could be the cause of some of the struggles I was facing in different aspects of my life. I’ll give you a few examples: needing constant reassurance, doubting your partner’s feelings, and creating false scenarios in your head are all ways that anxiety can manifest in a relationship. With that being said, if we stay informed and educate ourselves on these things, it can help us understand them better, and then eventually overcome them. Education is a form of self-care, and the more knowledge you have, the more power. 

I hope these few tips can help you in your own relationship. I’m no expert, just a girl who is trying to succeed in her own love life; but hey, aren’t we all? 

Jordana is a senior at the University of Connecticut double majoring in communication and journalism and minoring in women, gender and sexuality studies. She spends her free time hanging out with friends, writing for The Daily Campus and most importantly, watching Below Deck Mediterranean. To reach Jordana, shoot her an email at jordana.castelli@uconn.edu or DM her on Instagram @jcastelli22!