This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Indie pop band originating in the United Kingdom, Pale Waves, has released their debut album “My Mind Makes Noises”, and it’s safe to say that I’m obsessed.

Pale Waves was able to gain publicity by opening up for The 1975 at various concerts. They produced their EP back in February under the label “Dirty Hit”, a label that also supports The 1975. The famous band has strong ties with Pale Waves; they can be seen on twitter promoting the latest Pale Waves releases.

Half of the band is composed of female musicians, which is rare in the music industry. The group has four members in total: Heather Baron Gracie (lead singer), Ciara Doran (drums), Hugo Silvani (lead guitar, keyboard), and Charlie Wood (bass, keyboard). They have been together since 2015 when they were signed by ‘Dirty Hit’ record label.

Their debut album was released on Friday, Sept. 14, 2018. The album includes some of their popular singles such as “New Year’s Eve” along with many new songs to enjoy. The songs follow a similar feeling to the group’s EP, “All The Things I Never Said”. This means moving and heartfelt lyrics with a catchy, rock-influenced beat. Have you ever been sing-screaming lyrics in the car while driving, and suddenly find yourself saying, “why am I crying?”That’s the type of emotion Pale Waves evokes with this album. 

My personal favorite song off the album is “Eighteen”. It has such an angsty vibe with the electric guitar and really relatable lyrics. The mix of guitar, a great beat, and really stable lyrics is a good combination for any “feel good” song. I also was attracted to this specific track because the lyrics are universal and hit me in a personal place. The lyric that drew me in the most would have to be “I was eighteen when I met you /Poured my heart out, spilled all my truth /I finally felt like I could feel for the first time/ When I met you.” This lyric allowed me to reminisce on that same feeling I felt and still feel in my current relationship.

“My Mind Makes Noises” is an album of angst, relationships, loss, and pure emotion. If you want an album that makes you feel immense empathy but is also a bop, this album is for you. 

Madison, commonly called Maddie, is a journalism major at the University of Connecticut and has a niche of Arts and Entertainment/ Lifestyle writing. In her free time, she can be found at a concert, NYC, or traveling abroad. She has strong opinions about women's rights, politics, and racial equality.