Meet the New Wave of Influencers Using Instagram to Save the Planet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Activists like Greta Thunberg (@gretathunberg) and Autumn Peltier (@autumn.peltier) have become household names by leveraging social media to promote environmentalism and invoke ground-breaking change. But there are many more voices contributing to the conversation about climate change. Upgrade your morning scroll by following some of these women, who will teach you, guide you, and empower you to lead a more mindful, eco-friendly lifestyle. 

1. Amelia Edmondson (@amelia.edmondson)

Amelia “Millie” Edmondson moved to Hawaii after graduating college, and has been navigating post-grad life by using her passion for the environment to educate her followers about sustainability.

Her superpower: Capturing the magic of Earth, and peeling back the layers of all her instagram-worthy moments to reveal the eco-friendly considerations behind them.

Her words: “Living in Hawaii has made me extra conscious of my sustainable eating habits…shopping locally not only allows you to support the incredible farming community, but it also drastically reduces your carbon footprint”

2. Alivia Fields (@aliviafields)

Lifestyle blogger turned sustainability advocate, Alivia uses her platform to highlight the companies that help her and others to lead mindful, eco-friendly lifestyles.

Her superpower: Pointing followers toward brands and resources that are ethical and sustainable.

Her words: “I’ve learned that all our purchases have an impact & it’s so important to pay attention.”

3. Madeleine Olivia (@madeleineolivia)

Madeleine shares her minimalistic lifestyle along with sustainability tips and plant-based recipes with her followers.

Her superpower: Crafting the cutest secondhand outfits, creating amazing recipes, and sharing her recommendations for products that are eco-friendly.

Her words: “ There are so many things each of us can do to make a big difference, and it’s not about being perfect, but doing our best.”

4. Immy Lucas (@sustainably_vegan)

Founder of the Low Impact Movement, Immy uses her platform to make the issue of climate change a personal one, teaching people how to look at their own practices through a lense of sustainability. 

Her superpower: Helping followers live sustainably with the materials they already have available, as well as pointing them towards the most sustainable options for items they may need to purchase.

Her words: “From learning how to DIY your own hair products, to shopping unpackaged and lobbying your local government to change, I want to inspire you to make a difference and find your inner sustainable warrior.”

5. Natasha Halesworth (@theconsistencyproject)

Natasha founded The Consistency Project in 2017, an initiative that aims to advocate for a sustainable lifestyle through secondhand clothes and material goods.

Her superpower: Helping you up-cycle your wardrobe!

Her words: “Textile production equates to MORE carbon emissions than international flights and shipping combined. Secondhand shopping may seem ‘small’ to the greater challenges we face with climate change but…this lifestyle choice actually DOES make a difference”

Carson Stifel is a junior at the University of Connecticut majoring in Communication. She loves a lot of things: fashion, sustainability, and wellness being a few of them. You can catch her hyping up her friends 24/7, and can always count on her to have some inspiration up her sleeve.