Kathryn O’Connor: Taking her teaching talents to Jamaica

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

This week I had the wonderful opportunity to talk to Kathryn O’Connor (’17) who currently studying Elementary Education in UConn’s Neag School of Education. While some students were home over winter break, working, taking classes or traveling, Kathryn had the incredible experience of traveling to Jamaica through one of UConn’s many alternative breaks.

CF: Tell me about your trip, what you did, who you went with, etc. 

KO: I flew into Montego Bay January 2nd and stayed in Negril, Jamaica for a week with 17 other Panhellenic women from UConn, one of those from my Chapter, Pi Beta Phi. Directly upon arriving, I was able to experience the Jamaican culture through food (lots of jerk chicken and rice!), spending time on the beach, at a church service, and taking a boat cruise along the coast. Monday through Thursday my peers and I served at a school of 3-5 year olds in Westmoreland where we were able to repaint the entire school and rebuild their playground using tools provided by us. Thursday was a special day where four of us education majors were able to actually teach the 33 students there a lesson by reading them a book and then doing a follow-up activity. Friday was spent zip lining and swimming in waterfalls at Y.S. Falls, about an hour from where I stayed. There was never a dull moment! 

CF: Can you describe the experience in three words?

KO: Inspirational, life-changing, gratifying

CF: What was your favorite memory?

KO: As an elementary education major in the Neag School of Education at UConn I’m constantly interacting with children. All children fall on the scale of being somewhere between extremely outgoing and extremely shy. It’s vital to understand those that are shy should not go overlooked. I’ll never forget being outside playing with the children on their newly redone playground, when I looked over and saw a five year old, Alex, standing against the building alone. He didn’t look sad, but he also didn’t look particularly happy. I went up to him and immediately realized how shy he was. Yet, within a few minutes, I had him telling me about himself, his family, and it was when he began to laugh with me that I really grew attached to him. I began playing with him, giving him piggyback rides, and just spent some one-on-one time talking and sharing laughs with him. I’m not sure if I made more of an impact on him, or if he made more of an impact on me.

CF: Was there an aspect that you found to be particularly challenging?

KO: Most people don’t consider the struggles that so many are suffering through on a daily basis because they aren’t being directly affected. As a future educator, it was especially challenging to see the lack of resources the school had that we served at. Yet, it was absolutely remarkable to see how happy their faculty, students, parents and community were regardless of that fact; they were grateful for even our smallest acts- the same ones that if completed in America would more likely than not be overlooked.

It was tremendously frustrating for me to be able to understand how amazing the American education system is, and how it doesn’t receive the appreciation it deserves. Meanwhile, there are students all over the country that do not have the opportunities that so many of us here have, and still hold such gratitude in their hearts. The amazingly, positive energy the great people of Jamaica possess and poured out to us is truly remarkable, as well as inspiring. Their appreciation was refreshing, but it’s challenging to see that everyone does not share that same attitude. It’s even more frustrating to know that there are schools in the United States lacking resources as well. We need to pay less attention to the achievement gaps in scores of students, and first and foremost more attention to what we can do to fix them by widening opportunity for all. Furthermore, the physical labor while serving tested each and every one of us in the best way possible. Although it was challenging at times, I can confidently say that not one of us participants would wish we hadn’t gone on this trip. 

CF: Would you recommend the experience to others? 

KO: Having the opportunity to demonstrate to people that we as a Greek community, and myself as a sister of Pi Beta Phi, stand for so much more than our stereotypes was remarkable. I can’t think of a better way to do have done that than by banding together as a group of Panhellenic women and enhancing the lives of children in the process. I strongly recommend this alternative break for it increased my global awareness and intercultural communication skills. I learned first hand the difference between helping individuals and serving them, and the impact that knowledge has on others. Moreover, I was able to contribute to something greater than I can accurately put into words. Flying back home was a bittersweet feeling; I was happy to see my family and friends, yet it was heartbreaking to leave a country that offered so much love, and took a piece of my heart.  

Since I’ve been back I smile a little more, complain a little less, and appreciate things I wouldn’t have given a second thought too previously. If you’re looking for a way to serve alongside those who are equally excited to have you, this is the way. Alternative breaks at UConn allow you to step outside your comfort zone, meet an array of incredible people, and serve with them to better the local and global communities. I can honestly say going on this trip was one of the best experiences I may ever have. 

Get more information on how to serve by visiting the UConn Community Outreach program website.

All images provided by Kathryn O’Connor

Corie is a UConn senior who has recently acclimated to New England from her home in California. When she's not in class she spends her time working on the executive board of her sorority, competitively sailing for UConn's Sailing Team and volunteering for various organizations. She believes that keeping busy is underrated and can frequently be found in her favorite city, Boston. Her big dream is to work in competitive sports and wants to someday own a husky of her own.