I Went On a UConn Alternative Break, and You Should Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

In retrospect, I have nothing but amazing, positive thoughts and feelings regarding my Alternative Break trip though UConn’s Community Outreach program in Philadelphia to provide service in the area of healthcare access and education. But, the truth is, I didn’t always have these feelings. In fact, the day before the trip, I spent the greater part of the day sobbing on the phone to my mom.

I was absolutely terrified to be trading the comfortable environment of a spring break at home for staying with people I barely knew in a city I knew even less.  I wondered if I would even get anything out of this. Could I possibly be of any help to my fellow trip members, let alone the people and community partners we would be working with?

I went to sleep that night with my stomach in knots, repeating to myself over and over to just be my normal upbeat self, to not fear any challenges, and to try my best to make the most of the situation. After all, I signed up for this willingly, so there must be some part of me that wanted to do this…right?

The second I claimed my seat in one of the two vans we drove down to Philadelphia, all of my apprehensions faded. My trip members were nothing but kind and welcoming and we spent the trip down cracking jokes, singing, and talking about school, family, and politics (spoiler alert, most of us weren’t too keen on President Trump’s new healthcare plan). And it didn’t stop there- when we would reunite with the other car for lunch or when we finally made it to the church we were staying at, there was never an awkward moment. We acted like we had all known each other for years.

When the week began, so did the service. We worked with a multitude of different community partners, each providing a new view on how they approach health. Some service allowed us to be fully emerged in what the organization does, like helping make phone calls to assist the residents of Philadelphia in finding health insurance. Some service, however, was indirect. This means that while we were not actively working alongside the community partner, we were aiding them and their mission through other activities. For example, we helped clean the barn of a therapy horse riding academy. So while we weren’t able to interact with the people that receive the therapy services, we were helping the community partner by helping provide a clean barn so that they can fully focus on their services.

Another aspect of an alternative break is reflection.

Reflection is held every night after a day of service, and it is a time to talk about what occurred that day. It is also a time to partake in some sort of activity that makes you think about the bigger picture on a multitude of topics that are both directly or indirectly related to healthcare access and education.

Topics such as privilege, personal strengths and weaknesses, goals and aspirations, and even how we ended up on this alternative break were discussed. Sometimes the conversation would get really heavy and sometimes it was all smiles and laughs. But most times, it was a mix of the two. 

At the end of each reflection, we would go around the circle and shout-out different trip members, highlighting on something great, funny, or just overall memorable they did that day. Reflection was one of the best parts of the trip; it allowed everyone to connect and get to know each other on a deeper level, not to mention getting a shout-out makes you feel warmer inside than a dorm room in August.

Ultimately, I thought from my classes that I knew everything I needed to know about healthcare, but having the chance to be out in the community to learn from people that are fully submerged in the field was an incredible experience that I feel honored to have been a part of. I encourage everyone to take part in an alternative break, whether it be a trip with a small group or a large one, for a whole week or a weekend. I think everyone can benefit from going into a different community to gain perspective and knowledge on how to be an active and helpful citizen. From the friendships I built, to the people of Philadelphia I met, to the insanely large amounts of pasta and PB&Js I ate, this trip is one that I will remember fondly; all the laughs, displays of empathy, and for the time I taught the “JuJu on the Beat” dance in a horse barn…I mean that’s what they meant by “alternative,” right?

All photos courtesy of Madison Kent.