self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

How To Show Your Support During Eating Disorders Awareness Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Did you know that almost 30 million Americans will deal with an eating disorder at some point in their lives? And that eating disorders have the second-highest mortality rate of all mental illnesses?

Shocking facts like these are reminders of the importance of Eating Disorders Awareness Week (EDAW), which is coming up in 2023 from Monday, February 27th through March 5th. EDAW aims to start a conversation around this stigmatized mental health condition by focusing on the lived experience of those who have suffered from an eating disorder and by educating the public on this mental illness, as well as providing hope for those struggling or in recovery. EDAW was founded by the National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA), a nonprofit that supports those who have been affected by eating disorders, and this is its 39th annual occurrence.

Learning more about eating disorders is especially significant for college students, who are often more susceptible to this mental health condition. It’s estimated that between 10–20% of college-age women suffer from an eating disorder. While behaviors like not eating to get drunk faster or replacing meals with coffee are often normalized on college campuses, these actions can often be signs of a deeper issue.

Raising awareness about the need for support for those with eating disorders and working towards prevention is a crucial aspect of EDAW, as is providing encouragement for those affected. Even if you haven’t struggled with an eating disorder yourself, the odds are you know someone who has. In honor of NEDA, I wanted to share some things anyone can do during this important week to help spread awareness about eating disorders and join the battle to create change. 

Educate yourself

One of the best things you can do during EDAW is to take the time to learn more about eating disorders and how to support those who struggle with them. There are so many free resources online on the NEDA website, and NEDA is hosting live events throughout the entire week in order to foster education. Taking just a few moments out of your week to break down some of the misconceptions that may exist in your mind about eating disorders is a small but meaningful action you can take during EDAW. 

Talk to a friend

Another key way to raise awareness and fight against the stigma surrounding eating disorders is to actually talk about them. Many people with eating disorders suffer in silence, and even talking about this mental illness can feel taboo. But one of the best things we can do to increase awareness during EDAW is to bring up the topic with a close friend. It can be as simple as saying, “Hey, did you know it’s Eating Disorders Awareness Week?” and explaining its significance, or checking in on a friend who you’re worried about.

Spread the word

Going one step further than talking to your friends about EDAW, you can take the time to spread the word on your social media accounts. NEDA has created shareable graphics with EDAW facts and resources that you can easily share to your Instagram page or story with the hashtag #EDAW and #EDAW2023. Additionally, during the week there are plenty of social media pages and organizations that will be sharing infographics online that are easy to reshare to your page. Spreading the word on social media helps NEDA’s message reach more people, and brings its significance to friends and students in your network who may need the help that NEDA can provide.

Listen to an anti-diet podcast

In the spirit of recovery and mental health, this week is the perfect time to listen to an anti-diet or self-love podcast to remind yourself of the importance of self-care and mental health. I personally love Maintenance Phase, a wellness podcast hosted by Michael Hobbes and Aubrey Gordon that focuses on debunking weight loss and health myths. I’ve also heard great things about What The Actual Fork, hosted by Sam Previte & Jenna Werner, and Rebel Eaters Club, hosted by Virgie Tovar— and I know there are dozens more out there that are worth seeking out!

👯‍♀️ Related: New Year, No More Dieting: A Conversation With A Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor

Check out a Landmark Lighting

Across the country during EDAW, famous landmarks will light up with NEDA’s blue and green colors to show their support for EDAW. If you don’t live close enough to see any of the buildings in person, photos are always shared on social media. I love checking out these images during EDAW to see cities all over America united for such an important cause. 

Sign up for an NEDA walk

NEDA Walks are a great way to raise awareness and show your support in a really tangible way. These community events help fundraise for eating disorder support and awareness by bringing people together in cities all over to walk for the cause. Get a group of people together and sign up in a city near you!

Donate to the cause

Of course, a simple yet meaningful way to show up during EDAW is to donate money to NEDA. This organization is doing groundbreaking work in the world of eating disorder prevention and awareness, and donating money to them or another recovery-focused group is a great way to help make sure this amazing support work continues. 

Get involved with EDAW at UConn

There are multiple ways to get involved with EDAW, eating disorder recovery, and body positivity at UConn. One example is to join UConn Shape, a peer education group on campus that focuses on healthy body image and body positivity. They give workshops throughout campus on topics related to eating disorders and body image and provide resources for students who need help. 

Another great on-campus group spreading awareness about the importance of mental health is Active Minds. Active Minds typically tables or hosts an activity during EDAW that helps the UConn community learn more and engage with this important week.

Eating Disorders Awareness Week is a great time to show your support to those who are struggling and promote eating disorder recovery in all the ways above, but it’s also an important time to practice self-care. Don’t forget to show yourself some love during this emotionally heavy week!

If you or someone you know has an eating disorder and needs help, call the National Eating Disorders Association helpline at 1-800-931-2237, text 741741, or chat online with a Helpline volunteer here.

Kayla Simon is currently a senior at the University of Connecticut working towards a B.A. in English with a double minor in Communication and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Some of her hobbies outside of Her Campus include reading and writing poetry, drinking iced oat milk lattes, listening to Noah Kahan, and taking photos for her photography business.