This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Some days I wake up ready to take on the day; I’ll have a good breakfast, blast some music while getting ready, and even take some outfit pics before heading out the door. On other days though, it can be tough to get out of bed and I’ll even avoid looking at myself in the mirror. Self-confidence can vary from day to day, and that is completely normal! For the days where you may lose sight of the impeccable human that you are, here are some tips that have helped me along the way.

Be True to who You are

The days I have felt most confident were the days I allowed myself to simply be me. We live in the age of comparison. Whether it be comparison in looks, relationship status, or career-wise, it can be quite easy to feel as if you don’t measure up or meet the “standard.” The essential thing to remind yourself when this occurs is that there is no standard! When you try to become something that you are not, every part of you will resist it. Listen to your gut with this. Wear the outfit, start the new hobby, go after what sparks your soul and most importantly, be YOU.

Think of a moment where you felt confident

Try to think back to a moment where you felt most confident. Sometimes so much of our attention is given to the days when we aren’t feeling so hot that we forget that there have been good days! Once you have that confident moment locked in, start thinking about what made you feel confident in that moment. Was it something you were doing? The people around you? Once you start to reflect on what made you feel empowered, it’ll help you implement changes that promote self-confidence.

Affirmations, Affirmations, Affirmations

It might seem silly, but this goes such a long way. We’re often our worst critics where talking negatively about ourselves becomes the norm. When you feel negative thoughts creeping in, think of an affirmation to repeat to yourself. It doesn’t have to be long, but rather something that will remind you of who you are and what you are capable of. If you need some help in getting started, give the song “I AM WOMAN” by Emmy Meli a play (you might have come across it on Tik-Tok!).

Ignore the haters

Who you surround yourself with matters! One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned so far is that people can only offer what they have. If you surround yourself with people who are bitter-hearted all you will receive is bitterness. Choose to surround yourself with people who will encourage you and remind you of just how great you are.

Allow yourself to have bad days

As I said before, some days will be better than others and that’s okay! Take the day, feel out your emotions, and remember that better days are to come. You got this!

Isabella is a junior at the University of Connecticut studying Elementary Education and Communication. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her daydreaming at a museum, dipping French fries in her ice cream, or in the poetry section of Barnes & Noble.