HOW TO *ACTUALLY* COMPLETE YOUR NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Oh 2022, it’s that magical time of the year. The time where you say to yourself: “This is going to be my year! New year, new me!”, and you fully believe it too. Until suddenly, you find yourself two weeks into the New Year and you’ve completely forgotten about the things you set out to do. So, like any logical person, you decide to leave them for next year. Let’s be honest, we’ve all been in this position, and we all know how much it sucks. So, here are five tips to prevent a repeat of last year and help you actually complete your New Year’s resolutions. 

1. LESS IS MORE 

The best way to make your New Year’s resolutions stick is to be clear on what your goals are and what you want to focus on. Don’t be trying to learn five languages, go to the gym every day, and create a new startup all in one go. Instead, narrow down which resolution(s) you want to focus on so that you can work on them but not waste all of your energy on them.  

2. BE REALISTIC

The most productive goals are usually the ones you actually have a chance at completing. So, basically: don’t set unrealistic expectations for yourself because you’re ultimately setting yourself up for failure. For example, if you’re someone who eats cheese on the daily, don’t torture yourself trying to go vegan. Try vegetarian out instead!

3. START SLOW

A New Year’s resolution is something meant to be worked on for the whole year, hence the name. There’s no point in working yourself to the bone those first two weeks and then losing all of your energy and motivation because of it. Try slowly working your resolution into your routine until it becomes a part of it, and before you know it, it will be!

4. ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING

If you ever feel frustrated or feel like you’re not doing enough, remember that any progress you make is better than none at all. Instead of seeing the glass half empty, see it half full. Remember, every little thing counts! 

5. BE KIND TO YOURSELF

Lastly, the best tip I can give you that applies not only to your resolutions but also to life in general, is to be kind to yourself. Treat yourself once in a while! Whether that involves binging your favorite show or splurging on relatively unnecessary items, do what makes you feel happy. The kinder you are to yourself, the better chance you have of actually making 2022 your year!  

Valeria is the secretary of Her Campus UConn. She is a junior studying English and Communications. She enjoys writing about pop culture, media analyses, music, and lifestyle. Valeria is currently working at UConn Magazine as an editorial assistant. For fun, she likes reading, journaling, crocheting, and making incredibly niche Spotify playlists.