sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How Not to Have a Date on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Valentine’s Day is coming up and let’s face it, for all of us single girls, this commercial holiday is just another reminder that we are, in fact, single. It isn’t enough to have the couple on the shuttle that is showing way too much PDA (and we all know we’ve seen them) and basically every movie ever created showing that happily ever after, but there has to be an entire day dedicated to the relationships that we’re not a part of.

If you don’t have a date this Valentine’s Day, don’t fret. Neither do I. Here are some things we single girls can do instead:

1.       Go out with other single girls

There are a ton of us out there, especially here on the UConn campus, who are dying to do something on Valentine’s Day but don’t have that special someone to do something with. Grab your single girlfriends and have a girls’ night! It’s probably long overdue, what with all the homework and other things going on in our lives. What better day to catch up than one that we would all otherwise spend alone?

2.       Stay in with other single girls

Do you ever just… not want to go out? Then don’t! Have that same group of girlfriends that you were going to go out with and just stay in. Do each other’s make up, gossip about boys, and watch movies. Make it like one of those sleepovers that you see on TV that you’ve always wanted to have but you never did. If one of your friends (or yourself) lives on campus, perfect! Plus, VDay is a Friday this year! That means you have no excuse. Girls’ Night In, here we come!

3.       Do something for yourself

It isn’t your birthday (and if it is: happy birthday!), but that doesn’t mean you can’t pamper yourself! The Atlantis Wellness Centre is located right on campus (near Wings Over Storrs) and they accept Husky Bucks! You can get a nice massage to release all of that built up tension and if you’re feeling daring you could try acupuncture! When you’re done with your massage, head over to Sweet Emotions (or have them deliver right to your dorm!) and treat yourself to some candy. Who doesn’t like candy? And , if you’re in a romantic mood, go on over to UConn Blooms in the Floriculture Building and get yourself a beautiful bouquet of flowers.

http://atlantistherapeuticmassage.com/site/, http://sweetemotionscandy.com/Welcome.html, https://web9.uits.uconn.edu/uconnblooms/

4.       Do nothing

Just because it’s Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean you’re obligated to do something. You could stay in and work on next week’s homework, read that book you’ve been dying to get into, and just relax. Being single on Valentine’s Day does have its perks: if you don’t have a date, you don’t have to buy him or her anything and you don’t have to go out. There’s some money saved for you, and a night free of any commitment.

And finally, my personal favorite:

5.       Sit in your room with a sappy romantic comedy, popcorn, and a box of chocolates you bought for yourself

While this might sound sad, sometimes it’s nice to have some alone time, especially if you’re feeling, well, alone. So make sure you have a box of tissues and slip in your favorite movie (Personally, I would choose Made of Honor or Letters to Juliet, but that’s just me). Don’t be afraid to have a good cry. And when the clock strikes midnight and Valentine’s Day is finally over, have your own little celebration and hope that next year you have a date.

I'm Tia, an English Major at the University of Connecticut. My skills include writing, making sarcastic comments, and watching four seasons of Pretty Little Liars in two weeks.