How-To: Dairy Free Diet at UConn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Why should you go dairy free? Our bodies are not made to digest milk on a regular basis. Some benefits include but are not limited to: clear skin, healthy digestion, weight loss, stronger bones and reducing exposure to added antibiotics and hormones. 

1) READ, READ, READ, AND READ SOME MORE. The way we oh-so-nonchalantly ignore those labels is not the way to go about things. A lot of what you might think does not have dairy, has dairy. I repeat, read every label. This goes for any food item you are considering consuming.

2) Breakfast: the most important meal of the day. Eggs, some form of protein (usually sausage or bacon), and fruit is my ideal meal. Or, if that’s not your thing, go for oatmeal with cinnamon and brown sugar; cereal is also a great alternative with either silk, almond milk or rice milk. Pancakes, french toast and waffles can be tempting but remember self control! You can do this, si se puede.

3) Whitney dining hall has a lot of options that are dairy free.

4) But, if you don’t want to travel, check out the gluten free part of your nearest dining hall. (You can filter vegan options for dining halls, cafés, and restaurants on UConn’s campus at VeganUConn.com, and it is also an app!)

5) The dairy bar is not your friend. Unless sorbet is an option, beware.

6) Believe in yourself! If you discipline yourself and cut dairy out of your diet you can turn it from a habit into a lifestyle.