stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Healthy Girl’s Guide to Eating in Dining Halls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Everyone has the same fears walking into college. Besides not finding your future husband (wow, my parents set unrealistic expectations) one of the biggest is gaining weight. Whether it’s the freshman 15 or sophomore 20 (that’s a thing, right?), every year the fear stays the same, especially when you’re living on campus. The dining hall options can be hard to maneuver with such tempting choices, but, if you follow these simple tips, you will make your college lifestyle healthier and happier.

1. Avoid the #basic unhealthy choices. This applies to the food you would never eat daily at home including french fries, donuts, ice cream, pancakes, etc. These foods should only be eaten on special occasions such as finals week or post-darty.

2. Always start with a healthy breakfast! Starting your day off right will make it easier to eat clean the rest of the day. Walk past the chocolate chip pancakes and potatoes and try an egg white veggie omelet at the omelet bar, some oatmeal and fruit.

3. If you’re still craving more food at the end of a meal, eat a piece of fruit or veggies and hummus. Do this instead of grabbing a plate of fries or dessert because those won’t fill you up or make you feel good later.

4. Rice > pasta. This hurt to write. But it’s true. If you are craving carbs, go for rice (brown if it’s being served.)

5. Hydrate or die! But just with water. Stay away from caloric and sugary drinks like soda and juice and drink lots of water. Water also fills you up, so you don’t overeat!

6. Read (the calories) and weep. I still don’t understand how the tiny little grilled cheeses have 450 calories. So, be aware of the both the calories and of the serving sizes.

7. Eat fresh! Try to stay away from all the processed foods such as bacon, cereal and bread. Go for the fresh fruits and veggies!

8. Stick to three meals a day. With unlimited swipes, it’s so easy to go to the dining hall more than the recommended three times a day. Eat three nutritious and satisfying meals a day, and if you’re still feeling hungry, try a snack such as almonds or apples and peanut butter.

Cover Image Couresy of Anna Freeda