Getting Comfortable Out of Your Comfort Zone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Humans are creatures of habit. From checking our Instagram feeds 10 times a day to ordering the same Starbucks drink, routine and familiarity is a norm.

A comfort zone can be defined as a psychological state in which things feel familiar to a person and they are at low levels of stress because they’re in control of their environment. Your guard is down and vulnerability is at an all-time low.

Most people live their day-to-day lives without stepping out of their individual comfort zones. To some, it’s just easier this way. But seeking out new experiences and taking risks is a integral part of the way we grow. It’s the first step out of your comfort zone that is the hardest. Once you’ve passed this first step, it will become easier to try new things and learn more about yourself!

Learn to Become Comfortable with Discomfort

We are programmed to think that any kind of stress is bad. False. Greater quantities of stress will definitely take a negative toll on your physical and mental wellbeing, but scientists figured out this awesome thing called “optimal anxiety.” Basically, when our stress levels are slightly higher than normal, we perform better. Too much stress, and your productivity plummets.

When our stress levels go above the natural state, feeling discomfort is normal. But being aware of this feeling and taking action instead of avoiding it is a big step. For example, if you feel a little anxious when you have to make conversation with new people, try to hang around longer instead of leave when you feel a bit uneasy. With enough practice, the discomfort will disappear.

Excuses Will Only Hurt Yourself

Let’s be real, when we want to avoid a situation that exceeds the limits of our comfort zone, we think of a million excuses to steer clear of it. Instead of saying, “I don’t have time for this,” take a minute to think about why you really are avoiding the situation. If you’re honest with yourself, it’s easier to overcome the problem. Challenge yourself to try something new and stick to it.

Failure is TOTALLY OKAY

A lot of people are scared to try something new because they think they won’t succeed. This is going to sound super cliché, but don’t knock it ‘till you’ve tried it! Saying you won’t be good at something before you’ve even tried it is self-defeating. Is there an internship you’re dying to get, but afraid of the competition? Send your application and find people in the company to talk to. (Hello, LinkedIn!) Once you made it over the first hurdle, the second one is to not give up if things don’t turn out in your favor. Use it to your advantage and push yourself to work harder toward your goal. Changing your mindset will pay off.

What are the perks of getting out of your comfort zone?

Here are a few:

• Increase productivity
  • It’ll be easier to deal with unexpected change
  • Trying new things won’t intimidate you
  • More experiences = more knowledge = more creativity
  • Life becomes more exciting!

Cover Image Source