This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

We all know how difficult it can be shutting off that 8 am alarm and getting up for those early morning classes. Staying in bed and curling under those warm sheets has never been so tempting. As college students, we dread getting out of bed and starting our day. This negative mindset must end. In order to do this, we must find the little things in life that bring us joy and motivate us to get out of bed in the morning. Here are five healthy habits to start the day to help inspire this positive mindset. 

MAKE YOUR BED

As tempting as it is to roll out of bed and continue on with your morning routine, making your bed may be more important than you think. Many studies have shown that by making your bed first thing in the morning, you become more motivated to do other tasks. This is because it is the first thing you accomplish in the morning, the first task checked off your list. Making your bed also reduces stress levels because you have a clean space, and an organized space results in an organized mind.

JOURNALING

Journaling in the morning is something I have recently incorporated into my morning routine, and I could not be happier! Journaling in the morning is beneficial because you start the day off on a positive and grateful note. Journaling encourages you to appreciate the little things in life. You will also start the day a lot happier!

DRINK WATER

Drinking water in the morning is super important because it increases your energy levels, boosts your metabolism, and helps with a clearer complexion and more radiant skin. Drinking water in the morning (especially ice water) also helps wake you up, which is a great bonus!

EAT A HEALTHY BREAKFAST

Eating a healthy breakfast is crucial to starting the day because it allows your body to replenish and get an energy boost. Energy is important for getting things done and focusing on work. This is important for college students, especially when we have those early classes. Without a good breakfast, you will be dreary and fall asleep in your seat during lecture. Some healthy breakfasts are eggs, yogurt, avocado toast, and protein smoothies. To get more creative with your breakfast, you can look up breakfast recipes on Pinterest!

EXERCISE

Whether that exercise be a morning yoga video or even a peaceful walk, it’s important to exercise in the morning. Exercise in the morning is easier to commit to because you get it done before the responsibilities of the rest of the day get in the way. 

Find a way to get out of bed and get that morning routine started with these five healthy habits. I promise you, it will be worth it!

Kaitlyn is a freshman at UConn and majoring in Speech, Language and Hearing sciences. She is hoping to become a speech language pathologist. In her free time, Kaitlyn loves to go hiking, read, get coffee, and listen to music.