Easy Valentine’s Day Dinners for Two

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Instead of spending loads of money at a fancy restaurant on Valentine’s Day, you and your significant other could stay in and try these vegetarian recipes! These recipes are easy, delicious, and fairly inexpensive. Plus, you’ll have fun cooking together.

1. Homemade Mediterranean Pizza

What You’ll need:

1 premade pizza crust OR 1 package of pizza dough

1 jar of sauce (can be any kind of marinara)

1 small red onion, chopped

1 handful spinach

however much mozzarella cheese your heart desires

a few tablespoons feta cheese

sprinkle of capers

How to make it:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. To begin, sauté the onions in olive oil until tender. While the onions are cooking, brush olive oil evenly over the edges of the crust. Then spread the marinara (amount is up to you). When the onions are done, spread those along with the raw spinach. Top with mozzarella and feta. Finish with capers. Bake for 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

2. Caprese Salad (lighter/appetizer)

What You’ll need:

• 3 plum tomatoes
  • small ball of fresh mozzarella
  • chopped fresh basil
  • bag of spinach/mixed greens salad
  • balsamic vinegar
  • salt and pepper

How to make it:

Cover a plate in the salad greens as a bed for the cheese. Cut the mozzarella into circles about ½ centimeter thick. Cut tomatoes into pieces about

the same size and top the cheese. Sprinkle chopped basil and salt and pepper over tomatoes. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.

3. Vegetable Korma

What You’ll need:

• basmati/texmati rice
  • 1 jar of korma sauce
  • 3 red potatoes, cubed
  • 2 red bell peppers, diced
  • 1 small red onion, chopped
  • 1 cup frozen green peas
  • 1 large carrot, cubed
  • cashews, chopped
  • fresh cilantro, chopped
  • package of Naan, look for Stonefire

How to make it:

Cook rice according to package directions. Cook onion in olive oil until tender. Add the rest of the vegetables and half of the chopped cashews. Saute for 2 minutes, add jar of korma sauce, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Serve korma, topped with cashews, with rice and warmed naan.

junior, nutrition major, sarcastic